Help me pick a camping mat!

(9 Posts)
MutualWeirdness Thu 17-Mar-16 15:58:21

I've been browsing old threads here and various other online reviews and I'm no closer to knowing which camping mats we should buy. Over the years I've been uncomfortable on cheap air beds, cheap camp beds... I'm ready to invest in the camping mat of my dreams which will enable multiple camping trips this summer.

The criteria are:
- super comfortable (I like to sleep on my side)
- weight/size is no issue, we can fit any size in the car and never set up camp far from the car.

So far I've heard about a 10cm Vango one which seems cheap but is 10cm. The Alpkit Dozer is mentioned often but is only 7.5cm. Thermarest, I thought was meant to be the best but the ones I've tried in outdoor shops just don't seem to be that comfortable. I haven't found a Dozer or Vango anywhere to try out in the shop.

Any ideas?

Fourormore Thu 17-Mar-16 16:51:04

Exped megamat?

MutualWeirdness Thu 17-Mar-16 17:03:22

Quick Google tells me it's 10cm - great! Do you know anywhere that has them in the shop so I can try it out?

Velocity Thu 17-Mar-16 17:08:40

I also suggest looking at exped - a wide range and a great nights sleep!

hillbilly Thu 17-Mar-16 17:33:36

I have the vango 7.5cm which was their thickest when I bought it. It's great and very comfy so I imagine the 10cm would be even better smile

Onykahonie Thu 17-Mar-16 20:48:09

We've got a Vango 5cm, as it needed to be portable for festivals. I can't believe how much better it is than a cheap air bed, so anything thicker should be really comfy. Only issue might be deflating and re-rolling.

fishybits Thu 17-Mar-16 21:11:17

Outwell Dreamcatcher 10cm self inflating mat.

I am fat and sleep on my side - I slept sooo well for 2 weeks.

isambardo Mon 21-Mar-16 09:19:07

We are having the same debate in our house, I think we've narrowed it down to the outwell dreamcatcher or exped megamat. However I am worried if it gets a puncture will it have been a huge waste of money?! The alternative for us is the fabric rollmat on belltent.co.uk which we would use as a guest bed at home too, but I'm worried about it feeling damp when camping or getting mouldy. Been going round and round with this, anyone had any experience? Hope I'm not hijacking the thread!

alexw Wed 23-Mar-16 21:36:08

Outwell dreamboat. No rounded edges so no roll off. Vvv comfy however you sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now