Pyramid dilemma: Obelink Alaska / Bell Tent Touareg

(4 Posts)
SalomeD Fri 08-May-15 16:48:30

Hi,

I've got a ancient vintage Cabanon Pyramid 4 that I've loved but having bought a ZIG bell tent 4 years ago I miss the ease of the ZIG or a SIG when I'm pitching it.

The bell is a 5m and great for when we all camp as a family but when it's just myself and the youngest DS I want something slightly smaller.

Have been going round in circles and have managed to narrow the shortlist to the Obelink Alaska or a Touareg.

Has anyone on here got an Alaska - wondered how you got on with it sidewise.

One major consideration for me is we have an Outwell Double Posadas which we use with a SIM on top and so need to take the height of the side walls and sleeping inners into consideration.

Daisybell1 Sat 09-May-15 08:37:25

I don't have either of these (sorry, this may not be very helpful!) but I've just bought a De Waard pyramid tent. One of the reasons I got it is the easy of putting it up - it has 2 poles at the back rather than just the one of the Alaska but I can put it up easily myself.

The canvas itself is 32kg though - can you lift that yourself?

Its a beautiful tent though!

Sunshinenow Sat 09-May-15 08:45:26

Hi, not sure which one would be better for you. I bought a touareg deluxe but never used it (trailer tent instead). Keep meaning to ebay it bit I would be interested in selling. Pm me.

SalomeD Sat 09-May-15 10:12:01

Daisybell - fab that you've got a De Waard, they are beautifully designed.

The ones that are regularly coming up on eBay look great but I'm a little reticent to spend that much on a secondhand tent I haven't seen in the flesh and a new one is out of my price bracket.

Think the bell tent I already have is just shy of 30kg so I'm quite used to hoiking up the canvas and I have to say I prefer the couple of minutes of huffing and puffing to the frustration I feel trying to put together a tunnel tent (also have a little Outwell Carolina) especially when the pegs won't go into the b****y poles!

Sunshinenow - thanks, have PM'd you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now