Camping top tips!?

(12 Posts)
mayfridaycomequickly Sat 02-May-15 07:42:56

I think we're going to wait until the end of may when it'll hopefully be warmer but I love 'tip' threads. What top tips make camping easier / more fun for you?

We pack clothes etc in these: http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/8755412.htm as they can be shoved into spaces in the car easier than cases.

I take an empty (wide necked) fabric softener bottle for night time wees blush

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sat 02-May-15 08:08:49

Flip flops for the shower.
Decent warm sleeping bags. Also a blanket under your mattress keeps you much warmer.
Cook a meal at home to take for the first night.
Hanging pockets for important stuff.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sat 02-May-15 08:11:09

Ikea bags are also v handy for packing towels and bedding. I'm thinking of the smaller ones for clothes for a weekend away - one each - do we think that'd work?

mayfridaycomequickly Sat 02-May-15 08:40:39

Ooh - there's a hanging pocket built into our tent that's really useful. Do you have separate ones likeasoul? How do you hang them?

Ikea bags are sturdy - I prefer bags with zips to keep out any crawlies though!

evelynj Sat 02-May-15 09:01:21

Watching with interest. I bought one of those hammam towels for space saving. Plastic bags for rubbish & lots of other things. An led light to hang in the middle of the tent. I was going to invest in a portable toilet for the dc for night times. I like to have pillows & chairs-the more luxury the better! Need a list of sturdier portable food for camping. Apples, rolls & crisps are out staples ;)

We're going to a festival with the children (their first time camping-eek!) & I'm considering taking our nice down duvet as it will roll up small & we have no sleeping bags so one less thing to buy. Is this madness?!

mayfridaycomequickly Sat 02-May-15 09:24:03

We take our duvet too - vac pack it to go then just ram it in to come back (we always have less stuff on the return journey - food eaten etc)

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sat 02-May-15 10:49:44

Re the duvet it's maybe a matter of personal preference. I much prefer sleeping bags as I find them much warmer. My friend loves her duvet though - although then seems to wear most of her clothes in bed! I wear normal PJs and am toasty warm.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 02-May-15 14:49:54

If it's down, I'm assuming it was expensive so personally I wouldn't risk it for a first camping trip with the EC, especially if mud is going to be involved...smile

evelynj Sun 03-May-15 21:31:52

Thanks-was expensive but like the idea of vac packing-what size of vac pack bag please? I'll take it in a cover Immnot too fond of. I'm do,like my luxury when camping & would need to buy a sleeping bag anyway & dry cleaning is £17 so cheaper for this tip.

I've just put another sim & sip (pillow) in my basket. We won't have much space as trying to take all,camping stuff & 2 adults, 2 dc across ferry to festival followed by a few days at the in laws & a couple of overnight stays! In a golf. Perhaps a roof box is next on the list!

Also, got a big water carrier in b & m for £1 to £2 t'other day but am really gonna have to decide on what is most space efficient!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 03-May-15 21:45:59

Our car is considerably bigger but still we don't bother with a water carrier. We have 2 doc and we just make them fetch any water we need smile

FadedRed123 Sun 03-May-15 21:50:11

Motorhome. All the joys, + central heating, shower and loo, comfy beds, cooker and fridge. smug ( sidles off before I get slapped)

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 03-May-15 21:55:33

envy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now