Weaning in motorhome

(13 Posts)
Newquay Mon 27-Apr-15 22:02:21

It's week 2 of weaning my DS of 6 months and we're off in the motorhome with DH and Elder DS of 3. High chair won't fit in van/DS doesn't like bumbo/I don't think we can use the Phil n teds clip onto side of table thing. Does anyone have any ideas of how to feed a baby without getting the generally orange sludge everywhere? Any ideas as to toddler friendly camping meals would be great too! (Poor DS lives on mashed potato n baked beans while we are away). Thanks

ChangingTiming Mon 27-Apr-15 22:06:34

One of you hold him on your lap? Sit him on the floor outside on a mat if warm?

WhatAHooHa Mon 27-Apr-15 22:25:25

No help on baby, but toddler meals...
Pasta pesto
Sausages (chipolatas are quick to cook) and (instant) mash
Corned beef hash (use tinned new potatoes)
Chicken fajitas (take his portion out before adding the spice for yours)
Spag bol - cook and freeze bol before you go, defrost while there.
Soup

WhatAHooHa Mon 27-Apr-15 22:29:46

Baby - how many meals a day is he on? Could you combine one with being out in a cafe each day? When we camped I took the Ikea high chair which dismantled, then sat ds outside on it to eat!

Callmecordelia Tue 28-Apr-15 07:00:55

Camping for me is one long exercise in learning to let go and not try and maintain what we do at home. It doesn't work that way for us.

In that spirit, for the baby I'd abandon all principles and spoon feed from a pouch or jar, for my own sanity, and also because I wouldn't be able to face cleaning the motorhome. The Ella's kitchen pouches are quite good, and don't need warming. Then I'd try some finger foods that are easy to transport - maybe breadsticks? I think with my DD (4) that camping is only a few days, and the other benefits outweigh a few days of restricted diet. She's quite faddy, but would live on the camping diet of bread, cheese, sausages, defrosted bolognese and apples forever if she could. I appreciate that this is only practical if you are going for a short time though.

Newquay Tue 28-Apr-15 07:38:54

Hi hi - loving all your ideas. Thank you! Scribbling a new shopping list as we speak. Baby is just at probably 2 meals a day - 1 being smashed up banana type thing. I did Ella pouches before so am very happy to go back to that. Thank you all x

BikeRunSki Tue 28-Apr-15 07:43:28

Baby led weaning?

Newquay Tue 28-Apr-15 07:47:17

Ideally yes ......but I don't know who well that goes with caravanning

Buttercup27 Tue 28-Apr-15 07:49:17

We've got a booster seat that attaches to a normal chair would that work?

UterusUterusGhali Thu 30-Apr-15 11:13:59

I would take the legs off an ikea highchair with mine.

Wrt food, a banana and a metal spoon are your friends here; open the banana and scrape it, like if you were scraping the top of a butter pat. You'll get a spoonful of mush at a time. I always had a banana and spoon on my person for the first two. (Then I discovered BLW ;) )

Newquay Thu 30-Apr-15 15:16:21

Ahhh I like it! smile genius and cheaper than a banana pouch plus a snack for me!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 02-May-15 14:41:37

Take a cheap shower curtain to contain the mess and stick him on the floor or your lap with some finger foods smile

WhatAHooHa Sat 02-May-15 14:59:04

Have done a quick test with my 6 month old, OP. The banana/spoon trick also works v well with a ripe avocado.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now