So, who else is camping over the BHW?

(43 Posts)
RandomHouseRules Fri 24-Apr-15 21:32:27

We have had some of the best April weather in years.

It is our first proper family camping trip (DCs 6 and 3) next weekend.

It is going to piss it down and be negative temperatures isn't it?

hillbilly Fri 24-Apr-15 22:56:55

Not necessarily. I suppose it depends which part of the country you are in. We have camped in Buckinghamshire for the last 2 years for May Day weekend and it's been surprisingly clement.

MegBusset Fri 24-Apr-15 23:05:01

We're going to our (seasonally pitched) caravan.

Not if it's raining though!

RandomHouseRules Fri 24-Apr-15 23:18:39

Camping in Kent. We are all very excited about it but I just know we will all be a bit disappointed if the weather is significantly poorer than it has been recently. DH and I are seasoned campers but have only done a few nights in a yurt since having kids and this is our first time in our new family sized tent. I am managing my own expectations but the DCs think summer is here and will be staying!

WhoNickedMyName Fri 24-Apr-15 23:22:20

we haven't booked anywhere yet but are hoping to get away for 2 nights. we're in a motorhome so not too bothered about the weather.

Blu Sat 25-Apr-15 11:46:09

Yes, braving it for 3 nights, and I can't wait.

Booked in a spurt of optimism during the great weather a few weeks ago.
Fingers crossed!

Daisybell1 Sat 25-Apr-15 12:08:02

Forecast is not looking good up here confused

Does camping in my parents back garden count? grin

FrozenAteMyDaughter Sat 25-Apr-15 17:38:53

Yes we are. Sussex somewhere I think. Crossing fingers hard!

chocomochi Sat 25-Apr-15 21:30:47

We've just booked two nights but forecast isn't looking hopefully sad

Fooshufflewickbannanapants Sun 26-Apr-15 18:59:19

We are off up to skipton and I can't bloody wait!

Muchtoomuchtodo Sun 26-Apr-15 22:56:50

We're going for 3 nights - first trip of the year.

The Countryfile forecast only goes up until Thursday but it's looking a bit iffy atm. Plenty of time for that to change though <dons optimistic (warm) hat>

Missanneshirley Sun 26-Apr-15 23:07:49

Snow is falling in Scotland right now, I am so glad we are not organised enough to go away yet!!

Callmecordelia Mon 27-Apr-15 07:35:28

I'd like to go somewhere, but we'll see. Maybe just parents garden like Daisy. It's on lovely mornings like this that I'm full of enthusiasm, and then I remember yesterday with the drizzle.

I'm in Kent OP. Where are you going? If it's nice, let me know. I'm on the lookout for nice local sites.

rememberingnothing Mon 27-Apr-15 21:57:04

we're off to Sussex on Friday afternoon. I think it'll be showery all weekend so it'll be a mad dash to strike on Monday as soon as the tent is dry.

I can't wait! I love camping whatever the weather. As long as we can walk to the pub and have a nice fire in the evening.

Hooray for camping!

averythinline Mon 27-Apr-15 22:01:12

We haven't booked but keeping eye on weather ...have to have fires this time of year but if squally then will wimp.....

We went to nethergong in kent last year really enjoyed it people were lovely and fires and fresh veg...

hillbilly Thu 30-Apr-15 11:26:45

The weather is looking so grim in the South that I doubt we will go sad

Has anyone got a decent forecast for where they are going?

CallMeNancy Thu 30-Apr-15 11:27:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhoNickedMyName Thu 30-Apr-15 11:28:40

We've decided against it. everywhere we were looking at has a grim forecast. gutted.

FatimaLovesBread Thu 30-Apr-15 11:30:43

We're camping at a motorbike weekend, it's going to be freezing! Packing wine and gin and hot water bottles

FrozenAteMyDaughter Thu 30-Apr-15 11:34:09

We have given up on the idea. Couldn't get EHU where we wanted to go so going to do day trips instead. A bit sad really given how lovely it has been recently and in fact is today where i am.

hillbilly Thu 30-Apr-15 12:20:41

Yes we are booked too but not going if it's pissing down.There is no amount of gin or wine that would make it worth it! Having said that, the forecast is now improving smile - need to persuade dh now though hmm

I even have a new fire pit.

CampingClaire Thu 30-Apr-15 14:45:29

Not going this weekend but did get away for 4 nights to Skye at the beginning of April. It was (unsurprisingly enough) freezing. Took our trusty Frontier Stove though to keep us defrosted. Unfortunately it was only on outside though so it was double socks and thermals to sleep in!

Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 30-Apr-15 19:50:37

The weather forecast is looking up!

We'll still have wet periods and it's not going to be overly warm so the packing has started in earnest - wet gear, cold gear, swimming gear, sleeping gear, sunny gear (optimistic!).........wine and gin.

Done!

Blu Thu 30-Apr-15 22:44:26

Hillbilly, we're off to E Sussex and the forecast on BBC weather shows rain only from 4pm on Saturday and through the evening, dry Fri eve, sat til after lunch, dry all day Sunday and lovely on Monday.

So we're packing an extra fleece blanket, will go out for chips on Sat night, and make the best of it!

CoffeeChocolateWine Thu 30-Apr-15 22:50:57

We have booked to go camping in the New Forest for 2 nights with our 6 and almost 3yo, but it's now looking quite likely that we'll cancel. We're playing it by ear though...we haven't had to pay a deposit or anything so we won't lose anything. Disappointed though...we were really looking forward to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now