Has anyone been to the Ile de Re?

(9 Posts)
reallyneedmoresleep Thu 28-Aug-14 17:20:54

In an effort to avoid post-holiday-blues I'm trying to plan next year's holiday. We're looking at the Ile de Re, probably staying at Camping Interlude with Canvas Holidays. Has anyone else been there? What did you think? We have three sons who'll be 11, 9 and 7

Rhubarbcrumbled Thu 28-Aug-14 18:43:06

I've been on a day trip and loved it. Friends have stayed there and loved it but said it cost a fortune in tolls coming and going from the island. As long as you factor that in it'll be great!

Karenthetoadslayer Mon 01-Sep-14 22:05:49

The ile de Ré is my favorite place.

As Rhubarb said you have to pay for the toll bridge. I think it is about €20 or so, but as long as you are not coming and going all the time, you may only incur the charge once or twice.

There are fantastic cycle paths all over the island, you can hire bikes of all sizes and it is very safe.

Some nice and vast beaches, our favorite beach is close to the phare de la baleine.

Idyllic harbours, very atmospheric and it is very clean everywhere - no plastic bags allowed on the island.

We are hoping to go back soon and will be camping next time, unless I win the lottery. otherwise I can recommend the Hotel Richelieu in la Flotte, in particular the lobster salad.

HexBramble Mon 01-Sep-14 22:20:38

Just come back, and I'd go again.
Yes, toll bridge onto the island is €16/€18? But we camped there the entire time so just a one off payment. The cycle tracks run everywhere so take bikes or hire them there. DD's are 5 and 8 and we were cycling 25 miles daily! It's magnificent and what we paid on the toll we more than got back on diesel saving. Beaches are lovely too - remember though that it's the Atlantic so not as warm as the med by far, but still great fun. Flotte and Ars are beautiful, as is St Martin. All within easy cycling distance (while island is as flat as a pancake) and you can literally mooch around the harbour, eat delicious ice creams, admire yachts and sailing boats, and gaze at lovely little shops all day!
Some parts of the island are great for Rockpooling too, although we didnt make it this year, and there's also a unite lighthouse you can visit and climb right to the top and admire the views.
We stayed in Tours de Prises campsite which was small and personal. It had a pool but no exciting slides or games. It was fine for us though, but you prob have lovely pickings of other sites this time of year.
We cycled past so many crab/sea food shacks to eat in - think rustic French scrubbed wood and beautiful linens, selling fresh lobsters, moules and oysters etc. I'm determined to go back just to eat in one of them!

As you can tell, I liked the place!

HexBramble Mon 01-Sep-14 22:21:09

Just came back

Squarepegina Mon 01-Sep-14 22:51:50

We stayed in July at camping interlude. First time on ile de re and we loved it. Usually go with Canvas so that's how we found the site but couldn't face a tent and that's the only accomodation Canvas offer there. So we booked a garden room direct with the site, but no kids with us. Canvas tents at the back of the site but since site is small it's no big deal and site location is great right on the beach. You can walk the length of the island along the beach . Site pool was tiny and indoor one was very odd in layout. Depends if that's what you would use. Decent stocked shop with fresh bread and croissants and very friendly staff on reception and on site bike hire. Bike paths for miles with no longer than 5 km between villages and all have bike repair places. Every evening we cycled to a place on the other side of the island for drinks and ice creams. Dead easy because it's so flat and distances short.
Le bois plage is a lovely village a short walk or cycle from campsite and we loved it. Very friendly people and fab daily market and even a carrefoure express. We are returning next year!

HexBramble Tue 02-Sep-14 20:21:22

Square, did you make it to La Flotte? We didn't and I'm gutted!

Squarepegina Tue 02-Sep-14 20:33:14

Yep we did Hex, another gourmet ice cream guzzling evening. We cycled from campsite to St Martins then on to La Flotte. It was final of World Cup and the whole place was buzzing. Pretty but small and strangely lots of signs telling you not to leave bikes parked.....of course in true French spirit everyone ignored them and bikes were parked hey row...but because of that it didn't feel as friendly.

HexBramble Wed 03-Sep-14 22:37:32

I think Flotte is one of France's beautiful villages so are a tad snootier than the rest. Still, the gourmet ice cream alone would have kept me there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now