Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

Anyone got an Emperor bell tent? (or a 6m bell?)Come talk to me!

(12 Posts)
hyperhops Mon 25-Aug-14 11:12:38

OK, so am still pondering different possible options for our new tent. But I am being very drawn towards an emperor bell.
There are 8 of us - me and dh, ds1 16, dd1 14, dd2 12, dd3 10, dd4 8 and ds2 6. and 2 dogs so am thinking a 5m would definitely be too small.
Do you think we would fit in an emperor and still have space to use tent as living area if it is raining(it always rains when we camp hmm)
How hard is the emperor to pitch? Would ideally like it to be used both for weekends and longer holiday in summer...
do you have any problems regarding pitch sizes?
I know it will be huge and heavy to carry - hoping to get a trailer though so that shouldn't be too much of an issue , plus there will be plenty of us to carry and pitch it....
have also seen they now have regular 6m bell - would this be better - was thinking more height with an emperor would be better?confused
and do you use an awning for cooking? does that create a dry enough space to use in bad weather?
and of course any pictures - especially of interiors would be most welcome wink
TIA

hz Mon 25-Aug-14 14:23:59

Can't work out how to add the link but have look on facebook, look for Bath Bell Tents and look for their pictures of Maxibell (they name their tents) Maxibell is an emperor and you can get a good idea of the cavernous size of the inside and outside. I don't have one but I did meet a family who had one on a campsite and had a good nose and asked them how hard it was to put up. They insisted it was easy to put up and they certainly had a lot of people in it. Height and therefore useable living space in an emperor is def going to be better than a bell tent.

hyperhops Mon 25-Aug-14 15:06:16

thanks hz. will go have a look. I am just worried it will be huge....but then again there are so many of us we do need huge!!

hyperhops Mon 25-Aug-14 15:18:12

oh it is lovely [green] I think we would definitely need the space of the emperor....I think I may NEED one...now how to convince dh....hmm

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Aug-14 15:25:48

Are your teen/ pre-teen dc happy to be in the big open space of a bell with you and your younger dc?

Reason I ask is that I've recently bought a large canvas tent (not a bell but similar) and was ummhing and ahhing about getting the 4 man (in real terms a 6 man) or getting the largest pyramid available, and the guy from the store advised against the mo-fo one as once the dc are older they are likely to want to have their own space/tent and place to kip.

Maybe get a 5m and some pup tents?

hyperhops Mon 25-Aug-14 17:07:52

hmm, maybe that is a good point slubber
Ds1 (who has jsut got back from Leeds festival post GCSEs!) has just announced he isn't coming with us next summer as he is (apparently!) going cycling and camping in France with his friend hmm Although he would happily sleep absolutely anywhere with just a roll mat and his sleeping bag!
dd 1 would probably like her own space, but as it is at the moment the four girls were in one pod any way and no one really had any space or privacy! But I don't think she would like to be a seperate tent....but I dunno...will ask her but she is still taking the line that she is never coming camping again so will need to tread gently....
but maybe 5m would be better as they may not all be coming with us for much longer (shock sad) I just NEED more living space really though....confused off to ponder

hyperhops Mon 25-Aug-14 17:10:40

or two 5m bells on adjacent pitches...hmm

hz Mon 25-Aug-14 20:20:57

Just another thought, if they want own space they could have a small cheap pop up inside the big emperor, (no need to worry about waterproofness). Loads of space for a few of them I reckon. As for pitch sizes I guess it decides on the kind of place you camp, slightly rough around the edges, campfire campsites tend not to have designated pitches, they also know their customers are looking for space so large tents aren't a problem.

YoungJoseph Tue 26-Aug-14 13:37:34

I would get two tents, Bell if you prefer, and some sort of shelter to link them together. Would cost more for two tents and there's the cost of two pitches. However, some sites limit the numbers allowed on one pitch to 6 anyway plus you have the flexibility of taking just the one tent when you have fewer DCs with you.
Whenever we go camping I always see this sort of set up, not usually for one family group but for families or friends that camp together. It seems to work well though.

hyperhops Tue 26-Aug-14 18:54:37

oh dear... votes for all options it seems!
pop ups are a good idea...as is two tents linked in some way...
This year we were next to a group of 3 families on adjacent pitches that had an amazing set up between them that resembled a small village!
We do always have to make sure the pitch will allow 8 people - you're right some don't....
loving the idea of the space of the emperor...and only needing one (large) pitch...
but then the convenience of two bells...more options for older dc or if we don't all go...
good thing I've got till next spring to decide!

NettleTea Tue 26-Aug-14 23:09:17

Ive seen an emperor in real life last weekend, and I admit I was surprisingly impressed. The double poles each end make it have quite high sides which make it a very usable piece of kit. lots and lots of room.

hyperhops Wed 27-Aug-14 09:14:19

Oh,.now swaying back towards the emperor nettle! Lots and lots of room is exactly what I'm after!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now