Frozen - Advice needed

(39 Posts)
Romily Sun 24-Aug-14 12:37:53

Well went on our second camping trip and it was a total disaster. Even with what I thought was careful planing we were freezing and had to come home. Now I am dreading a trip we had planned for two weeks time.

In the bedrooms we had blankets down then the air bed with blanket topper, sheet, then us with a duvet and blankets on the top. We had thermals and then fleece PJs on top. Beds were heated with hot water bottles and we were shivering within the hour.

I could have coped however my 7 month old who had a vest, sleep suit, fleecy PJs, baby sleep bag, hat, gloves and blankets was also cold so we all came home.

What do we do now? We love camping and want to be able to camp more often than just July!

Do we get SIMs, sleeping bags, better thermals???? Please help as we were sooooooo cold!

peaz Sun 24-Aug-14 12:48:10

We camped last week and it was very chilly. DS (6) and we wore thick pjs with a top underneath and a thick jumper on top, a hat each and we were in sleeping bags. Nothing on top, and a foam mattress underneath. We were quite warm. Only my nose was cold.

Next time I would be taking an air bed, purely for comfort. I wouldn't go camping in weather cooler than it is now, as I hate being cold (soooo cold getting dressed for bed!) but maybe a sleeping bag might help. No idea about your baby though. I know that there was a two year old near us and the poor thing woke up each night, crying because he was so cold. His parents had him well wrapped up though, no not sure what more they could do.

kelda Sun 24-Aug-14 12:50:23

We've always used sleeping bags. You can get really warm ones. Maybe try an army supply store?

OneHandFlapping Sun 24-Aug-14 13:14:40

I think you need to increase the insulation directly underneath you, if you only had a blanket and sheet on top of the air bed. The blanket under the airbed won't do much to keep the heat in.

Either get good quality 4 season sleeping bags, or try a second duvet, to go underneath you.

Hakluyt Sun 24-Aug-14 13:19:15

I would have more between you and the air bed. And sleeping bags rqther than duvets. Are you chilly people normally?

hyperhops Sun 24-Aug-14 13:49:01

I would agree with good sleeping bags. We went away last week. it was definitely cold at night. DS1 though, who is a bit of a camping expert (went camping in Russia with explorer scouts last year and does d of e etc) has a really good mummy style sleeping bag. He slept in just his boxers in his sleeping bag ans claimed to be toasty warm all night! I on the other hand had on about a gazzillion layers and then heavy duvet and blanket, with hot water bottle. I was warm enough just! I'm going to upgrade everyone to good warm sleeping bags for next year!
Do you have EHU? could you invest in a little fan heater for next trip?

buffersandbumpers Sun 24-Aug-14 13:57:15

Good sleeping bags are key, and a hat (but you shouldn't need a hat if it's more than 10 degrees and you're in the right bag).
I've used a silk sleeping bag liner before which are quite handy and can help keep you cosy.

nomdemere Sun 24-Aug-14 14:01:24

Yes, good quality sleeping bag and very few clothes worn inside it keeps you much warmer than lots of layers (counter-intuitively). Went camping in the Arctic Circle as a teenager.

thedevilinside Sun 24-Aug-14 14:26:43

Yes, good quality sleeping bag (I have a Vango)Cheap mummies are also good, DP swears by his, but I don't like being confined. lots of layers underneath (I used punctured airbeds - we have quite a collection). Get ready for bed before dark, while it is still warm, I just wear jersey type trousers, socks and a long sleeved top, and can add layers if necessary. I also have a hippy type/Nepalese jacket (the sort they sell at festivals) and it is the warmest item of clothing ever

CampingClaire Sun 24-Aug-14 15:17:55

In addition to the above...Try and not get cold first so a proper fire if you are allowed one, warm drinks etc. Also try and heat up the sleeping bags or nightwear. Maybe wrap pj's around a hot water bottle before putting on? Good quality sleeping bag is a gift from the Gods I'm afraid to say...they make more of a difference than you ever would imagine.

onaroll Sun 24-Aug-14 15:43:38

I don't use air beds because the air gets cold in them when used outside of the house. I sleep in just a nightie in summer and pj's with no layering in winter.
I really feel the cold ......
I use camp beds or camp beds with a sim on top for comfort neither of these 'need' a barrier of warmth between it and your bedding because they are not cold air.
Aside from when I go in February half term etc when I use a fleece liner for my bag. My four season sleeping bag is all I use.
I had a few trips where I froze at night , using 2-3 season bags and blankets; got fed up being miserable ; so invested in really good 4 season bags and haven't looked back.
I have worn fleecy socks to bed but never a hat - I cocoon myself in pillows and my thick bag.

Hulababy Sun 24-Aug-14 15:45:57

I don't really do camping bar the odd festival once a year or so.
However, to avoid cold I have a camp bed, raised from the floor, and always wear socks and fleece PJs.

PiratePanda Sun 24-Aug-14 15:50:51

Good quality down 4-season sleeping bags are your friends. If you don't have them, try wrapping the duvet all round you - e.g. for each person lie on one half of a double duvet and wrap the other half over you.

Air beds are death. Invest in thermarest mats, use foam mats and if desperate put cardboard underneath to act as extra insulation.

But sleeping bags really are the way to go.

Munchkin08 Sun 24-Aug-14 15:53:38

We have been known to take a greenhouse heater with us to warm the tent up before we go to bed - although you have to an electric hook up ����

onaroll Sun 24-Aug-14 16:01:46

I do have friends that use air beds and duvets ( look prettier in the bell) but they always go electric so that they can plug in their electric blanket. smile

MissWimpyDimple Sun 24-Aug-14 16:15:45

I now have a 7cm SIM and it is so much warmer than tiny old air bed. We camped last week and my bed was really warm and you don't get the sweaty but cold plastic thing going on.

We are going next weekend and I'm taking EHU and a fan heater this time. Might take hot water bottles for the kids too.

2kidsintow Sun 24-Aug-14 16:21:21

I think staying warm before you get to bed makes a difference too. I was in my caravan last night and I was frozen. It wasn't that the caravan was cold, but we'd all sat up late in the field (hog roast party laid on by the owner) and I was cold before I got into bed. Normally I'd snuggle up to DH and steal his heat, but he was at home with DD1 so it wasn't an option.

jennylambchop Sun 24-Aug-14 16:44:00

We have Outwell Cedar sleeping bags, they work incredibly well in keeping you nice and warm. Never been cold in them yet, and have camped in some very chilly weather. Definitely agree that a sleeping bag rather than a duvet is much more effective. Also bin the airbed, and invest in a good quality sim. Airbeds just seem to conduct the cold air directly from the ground to your body! smile

Romily Sun 24-Aug-14 20:32:34

Ooooohh thank you for all the suggestions smile

We did keep warm before going to bed and had the hot water bottle to heat up the bedding before we got in however I think it was the air bed that really made us cold. The temp was down to 5 where we were which was super chilly for us.

I think that we are going to invest in SIMS and 4 season sleeping bags as we want to be hardier campers! Any recommendations??

BikeRunSki Sun 24-Aug-14 20:38:06

Alpkit are your friends for well priced down sleeping bags and sleeping mats. Decathlon too, certainly for mats.

Fleece blankets also help. Even just the cheapy primark ones. If you wrap them around you (between you and the sleeping bag/duvet) they make a big difference.

Wolfiefan Sun 24-Aug-14 20:46:03

Roll mat under inflatable mattress really helps.
Top tip! Get changed for bed before it gets cold and put track suit or similar over PJs. Stops you getting chilled when stripping off for bed.
Defo good sleeping bags. We also have a summer one we unzip and use as a blanket.
Socks!

foofooyeah Sun 24-Aug-14 20:46:54

When my son camped in April with army cadets, they used army supplied sleeping bags but had to wear as few clothes as possible to make them work effectively.

ChippyMinton Mon 25-Aug-14 09:56:22

Layer up with a foil survival blanket (reflects cold back into the ground) SIM on top, then decent sleeping bag, with a lightweight fleece blanket wrapped and pinned around it. The aim is to use your body heat to warm the air inside the bag, so wear very little (except a hat) and don't crush the bag filling with heavy blankets.

hyperhops Mon 25-Aug-14 10:44:11

yes, I think there is definitely something about wearing as few clothes as possible in a good sleeping bag.
Something to do with your skin being the warmest part of you so stripping off then getting into sleeping bag means air in sleeping bag warms up quickly and stays in sleeping bag (if a good one) rather than clothes that have cold air trapped in them...DS was adamant he was warmest sleeping in just his boxers...
I'm not sure I could bring myself to strip off in a freezing cold tent though!hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now