Best Cooking Setup

(4 Posts)
Romily Tue 19-Aug-14 09:25:52

Hello

We have just gotten into camping and are currently using a small gas stove that my hubby used to take to festivals. This however is not ideal for feeding a family of four! So what do you use for cooking when you are camping?

FrozenAteMyDaughter Tue 19-Aug-14 12:03:56

A Campinggaz double burner (there are a number of different types, one with a grill below the hob, but all are good). Ours is this one: www.campingaz.com/uk/p-26862-200-s.aspx

We also take a trangia-style cooker with a gas adaptor which boils water super quick and (being a trangia) is very good in windy conditions as it provides its own windshield).

We also have a variety of other different stoves - suitcase-style single burners, a campfire grill for cooking over fires (as the name suggests), a folding BBQ thing from LIDL and a Cadac carrichef which, frankly, is too big now we no longer have a campervan and needs to be sold but is great and will roast a chicken (as will a Cobb which many people on here have and love).

The basic is a double burner though and you won't go far wrong with one.

Ineedmorepatience Tue 19-Aug-14 17:28:38

Yep we have a double burner and have just bought a griddle that fits over the top of it which is great as we dont do barbequing.

I occasionally wish we had a third ring but have found if I stand an open can of beans/spaghetti on the griddle while I am cooking the sausage/bacon it heats up quite well.

Cadac Safari - I love mine smile

It's compact, but big enough to feed the 4 of us and does everything - BBQ, griddle, large burner and with the roasting dish (bought separately) I use it as an oven - tonight I made a meatball bake on it (meatballs, tomatoes, mozzarella, bread), it'll also do small pizzas. The only drawback is that you can only do one thing at a time on it - but we also have a 2 ring stove in the camper as backup.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now