Looking for advice on campsites where the dc can learn to surf!

(18 Posts)
lavenderhoney Tue 29-Jul-14 13:17:58

Having decided to attempt camping, dc would like to learn to surf. They are 7 and 5. Anyone have any tips? I suppose Devon or Cornwall?

I'm a bit worried about making sure its a family campsite so there will be other dc, not just surfers.

Its either that or the Jurassic coastsmile

Takver Tue 29-Jul-14 14:01:58

What about Pembrokeshire? There's a nice campsite next to Whitesands beach at St Davids (quite basic, just toilet/shower block, but it is right by the beach, which has cafe, shop etc. There are organised surfing lessons, plus you can then hire surfboards pretty cheaply by the hour/day etc. 5 is pretty small, though - IIRC the lessons tend to be age 8 upwards - definitely something to check out.

allmycats Tue 29-Jul-14 14:03:12

Try Polzeath in Cornwall - campsite next to beach and lessons on the beach.

FrozenAteMyDaughter Tue 29-Jul-14 14:22:32

I checked this out yesterday funny enough - the lessons, that is, not the sites. The youngest I found offered were for 6 year olds. Many schools started at 8 as Takver says. Maybe if you take a family lesson, or a private one just for your two children, they might be more flexible, but I think it can be down to insurance.

pootlebug Tue 29-Jul-14 15:07:19

How good are they at swimming? I surfed a bit and would want my DC to be reasonable swimmers before they start....when you come off in a wave it can feel a bit like being in a washing machine.

Could you start them on boogie boards in the shallows rather than surfboards? They are smaller too so much easier to control.

lavenderhoney Tue 29-Jul-14 15:52:10

They are both excellent swimmers and diverssmile

But I like the sound of boogie boards. Wetsuits I guess?

lk26 Tue 29-Jul-14 16:01:35

We have just been to white sands today. Great beach and surf stuff there. There is a campsite virtually next to the beach but beware it's on a slope.
We went to Croyde in Devon earlier this year which is big into surfing etc. Lovely place and great cream teas !
Also Gwithian beach down in Cornwall. That has a great surf school there and lots of places to stay.

Takver Tue 29-Jul-14 19:17:29

Everywhere in Pembrokeshire is on a slope, lk26 grin - the campsite at Whitesands is quite flat, relatively speaking . . .

lk26 Tue 29-Jul-14 19:32:35

They must end up all huddled at the bottom of the tent smile

Takver Tue 29-Jul-14 19:36:20

Very true - I've got a camper van & lots of bits of wood to level it . . . .

There must be some flat bits, though, as a friend who tent camps often goes there and has never complained!

AnnoyingOrange Tue 29-Jul-14 19:43:15
grassroots Fri 01-Aug-14 21:02:48

Try Rhosilli (Gower, South Wales) - its absolutely amazing.

lavenderhoney Sun 10-Aug-14 22:54:46

I'm booked! Cornwall smile wet suits and boogie boards coming this week, and now fingers crossed for nice weathersmile

SalomeD Mon 11-Aug-14 07:10:43

LavenderHoney - sounds like you're on a roll, have a great time with your kiddies

lavenderhoney Fri 29-Aug-14 22:18:47

Had a fantastic time in Cornwall in the end and dd is now a committed boardersmile ds nope as even with a wetsuit he was cold. Wouldn't even paddle..

Thanks for the suggestionssmile

PestoSurfissimos Tue 02-Sep-14 20:06:45

Whereabouts in Cornwall did you end up?

lavenderhoney Sun 21-Sep-14 22:10:04

North Cornwall- right on the coast and a lovely small campsite, with nice facilities

Dorset is next on our list, then Devon, and South Cornwallsmile

PestoSurfissimos Mon 22-Sep-14 13:03:07

Oh lovely, my favourite bit - nice & surfy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now