You know that feeling when you're going camping ...

(45 Posts)
affafantoosh Thu 26-Jun-14 20:26:58

... and you just want to pack up and go but there's another whole day to wait before you leave? Argh!

I've got a bag packed for the DC, a bag of wellies, buckets and spades, buoyancy jackets and snorkels, a dingy and oars and a pile of towels and blankets in the kitchen. There's nothing else to do and I'm all excited.

We haven't been camping for a year. Where we're going there's a beach and a good weather forecast. Tomorrow is taking forever to come!

BeeBlanket Fri 27-Jun-14 14:12:06

OMG Vivi.... I have just looked at your tent thread.

THAT TENT IS AMAZING <swoons>

I thought I was happy with our £130 Hi-Gear, well it is bloody good for the price, but you've set me off on a new tent fantasy. However I can't justify buying any more tents as we have a camper that we mainly use.

Has it arrived yet? Has it has it!!!?

BeeBlanket Fri 27-Jun-14 14:12:44

Bunbaker that tent would laugh in the face of Yorkshire.

MsBug Fri 27-Jun-14 22:24:22

Update: we are camping, it hasn't rained yet, and we are surrounded by rabbits!

gardenfeature Sat 28-Jun-14 06:32:11

Jealous.... but it'll be us next weekend!

One of my happiest ever camping memories was watching the 2 DS with an assorted army of fellow camping kids running around a huge field and looking down rabbit holes with torches (you don't get that in the Hilton)!

We're now not camping this weekend. We crashed the car on the way and wrote it off. So rebooking for another time I think

Olive15 Sat 28-Jun-14 19:58:00

Arh I have to wait untill august!!!!
Hope you have a nice time smile

hillbilly Sat 28-Jun-14 20:09:34

imnotaslimjum - that's awful! Hope you are all ok.

pictish Sat 28-Jun-14 20:12:55

Oooh Slimjim bad luck. Hope everyone's ok. x

We're fine thanks, whiplash and bruising but nothing major. Every cloud has a silver lining, MIL leant us the money to buy an Audi A4, I've always wanted one

Bunbaker Sat 28-Jun-14 21:58:39

Glad you're OK. The weather has been awful here. 11 degrees and rain today, so hopefully it will be better when you do manage to get away.

affafantoosh Sun 29-Jun-14 22:31:15

Oh slimjim sad not so good (apart from the A4 wink)

We had THE BEST time. Glorious sunshine, light breeze for midge-prevention, sandy beaches, cider and seafood. Love it.

Also love how filthy the kids are. Satisfying to see the water go murky when you get them bathed after a weekend of raking around with new friends. They have freckles and salty hair and big smiles.

It was sad to go home, but testament to how great it was is that we planned the date of our return before we left! smile

Abra1d Wed 02-Jul-14 20:39:47

Minmooch how are you doing?

ViviPru Wed 02-Jul-14 23:41:12

sandy beaches, cider and seafood. Sounds bliss OP. West coast if Scotland was it? (Gessing from midge mention!) We had showers in Worcestershire but a fun time was still had by all!

pictish Wed 02-Jul-14 23:57:49

I am delighted for you. grin

However...can I just tell you all that I am pissed off.
We're due to leave for a week's camping on Monday. For the last three weeks we have had lots of sunshine and good weather. Next week is going to be crap. It's to be cooler, cloudier, windier, chilly at night and sporadic showers.
We'll go anyway of course...but what a gutter.

pictish Wed 02-Jul-14 23:59:39

Every time I look at the forecast, shitness seems more certain.
Dh has had this time booked off work for ages.
Why? Why must it be so?

MsBug Thu 03-Jul-14 07:28:58

Pictish the weather forecast at the moment is always wrong, this time last week it was predicted to rain all weekend where we were going but all we had was one shower in the. evening. So don't give up hope yet!

ViviPru Thu 03-Jul-14 07:39:43

I too have weather rage. It's JULY ffs. Bloody stupid country sad

pictish Sat 05-Jul-14 18:55:38

Woohoo! It's my turn! grin

Just polishing up all the gear as I type...we're off Monday morning for a week of unsettled and chilly conditions. wink

We bought a new stove today so much excitement abound. It's a Coleman dual fuel double burner job. Bit different from our usual single burner gas canister, but we felt an upgrade was long overdue.

beckym8678 Sat 05-Jul-14 20:25:00

Ooh pictish sounds good, hope the weather picks up... DS (6) is off tonight at his first, long-awaited Beaver camp (in fact first camping of any kind for years) and it's been the vilest, coldest, wettest day... The tent he was allocated looked like a slightly over-sized bin bag (no crisp canvas ridge tent, as I was expecting). It may have been pegged down, but certainly not out and looked a dead cert to be puddle-filled by lights-out... Desperately hoping all this will matter not a jot to him, as we've a new tent on the way and grand plans for the summer, can't have him put off camping!

Please report back on the duel-fuel stove, am currently sitting on my hands to stop myself ordering one (shall make do with ancient trangia for now) as I've just spent every available penny on tent+icey-tek, but that's the one I have in mind when the time comes...

pictish Sun 06-Jul-14 08:44:32

Oooh weather report has improved slightly!
We're off to Go Outdoors for the second time this weekend. Dh bought an el cheapo airbed with no flocking yesterday! That will have to go back.
And we forgot to buy rock pegs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now