Has anyone used a 'campfire grill'?

(15 Posts)
CampingClaire Tue 10-Jun-14 18:57:42

Basically a grill on a spike hovering over a campfire. Adjustable height. I'm intrigued but not sure how stable they'd be.

yellowdinosauragain Wed 11-Jun-14 12:35:39

You need Blu. She has one and raves about it. I've got a landmann tripod which comes with a fire pit for when I'm at campsites that don't allow fires on the ground. I love it and it was cheaper too.

CampingClaire Thu 12-Jun-14 08:55:08

Thanks for that. I'm just not sure if they're worth the money. We seem to pitch where it can be a struggle sometimes to get a tent peg in...never mind a bbq spike. I'll probably end up getting one as I think the concept is a fab idea!

hillbilly Thu 12-Jun-14 11:04:24

I have had one for 4 years and swear by it. We whack in the spike with an axe head. We use it over a ground level fire or over our fire pit.

CharmQuark Thu 12-Jun-14 11:25:04

(yellow, it's me!)

Yes, I love my campfire grill. I have the Rebel, which is big enough to cook for 4. I love the fact that it is so simple, easy to put up but have not encountered hard ground,) durable and simple. Oh, and details like the raised edge stop things rolling into the fire. And you can adjust the height (miraculously, the adjusting screw thing doesn't get hot) or swing the grill round to stop things cooking or put less cooked things over the hottest part.

It has never tipped over. I haven't tried it with a kettle or dutch oven, but hillbilly uses her like that and it hasn't tipped over.

I have also been tempted by a tripod....but can't possibly justify having both.

If you have a fire you don't need to take a BBQ if you have a grill. And save in charcoal costs.

It's very personal all these choices: I love my grill, others love their Cobb or tripod.... and now these frontier stoves.

More temptation!

yellowdinosauragain Thu 12-Jun-14 16:08:40

Hello Blu, or charmquark! <waves>

I have a Cobb, a landmann tripod a Dutch oven and my latest acquisition a Honey stove with the hive extension... www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/RD103.html

Not addicted to gadgets combining cooking and for oh no!

yellowdinosauragain Thu 12-Jun-14 16:09:47

For? I mean fire

sallydolittle Sat 14-Jun-14 05:54:23

We have an Allan campfire grill. Which is fab. It's heavy and solid but we cook everything on it from a frying pan to a full Dutch oven .

NettleTea Sat 14-Jun-14 13:44:56

I have a frontier stove and the one with the tripod, both very nice

CampingClaire Sat 14-Jun-14 18:38:53

Guys...you're all great!! Wish you'd said they were rubbish cos I really want one now!! Will persuade husband with wily ways!!

CampingClaire Sat 14-Jun-14 18:39:16

Notice I said wily not Willy!! It was not a euphemism!!

hillbilly Sun 15-Jun-14 00:11:12

Seriously Claire, it's the best bit of kit we have and that's saying something cos we have a lot of kit grin

hillbilly Sun 15-Jun-14 00:15:42

And by the way, they are also realty nice because I inadvertently destroyed the screw thread in one of the poles AND also lost the screwy bit and they sent me new poles within a day or two and a free new screwy bit grin

hillbilly Sun 15-Jun-14 00:16:41

Too many grins hmm

hz Sun 15-Jun-14 16:33:19

Yup, we've got one too (following recommendations on here) and it is top piece of kit. We have had a couple of pans on it, used it as grill, even cooked hot cross buns over the fire! Stability has never been an issue. The fact it swings around so you can move things off the fire quickly and the raised edges of the grill means things don't roll off. Simple but effective. Highly recommend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now