arriving France 15 Aug: what have we done!

(7 Posts)

Good ladies of MumsNet, please reassure me....

We arrive at Roscoff Fri 15 August in the afternoon. Alerted to the fact that it is a Bank Hol we checked a couple of hotels and all had availability at a reasonable price.

But the Nantes hotel we then booked via a third party site have emailed to say they cannot acknowledge the booking...

I figured we might need to take some kind of basic food in case cafes etc are closed, but DH has just mailed me to say he can't find an alternative.

So...are we completely stuffed? Or is Nantes just the wrong place to try to stay before we carry on our (long) onward journey?

Theas18 Mon 09-Jun-14 13:11:33

Of course their is an alternative!

There are 2 on this list here near Niort. Take the more inland route via Tours and it'll not be much further to travel than nantes. THere may be ones near Nantes but I can't been through the whole list of availability 15/8

Kahlua4me Mon 09-Jun-14 13:19:20

Would it be possible to camp for the night? We often do that using municipal sites.

Much cheaper than hotel and dc get to run around....

thanks guys! I am at work and DH is in a big panic about this but I think that is becasue he really cant face putting tent up 5pm and taking it down before breakfast!!... I am sure we will be ok <optimistic>

Thanks for the Niort tip, I will check out after work

Girlwithnotattoos Tue 10-Jun-14 06:38:55

If you're due to arrive in Roscof at 5pm you're obviously booked a day crossing. Have you considered a night crossing with cabin to sleep in instead? We always do that and just arrive around 7 in France and drive to where we need to be - no stopovers. The cabin is not that expensive I think roughly £60- £100 (depends if you need a porthole) more than just the ferry, and it sleeps 4. If you fancy it it's easy to change ferry crossings.

littlesupersparks Tue 10-Jun-14 06:52:11

We would camp. We always go to France that time of year and have never booked anything! We have a Michelin book of camp sites, pick the cheapest one near the area, whack up the tent and pop it down in the morning. We have 2 under 4 and it's no big deal to put it up and down! :-) good luck finding something xx

DH not keen on camping for one night so looking at the Niort option -- thanks for the tip! We usually overnight and get a cabin but no availability when we booked. Looking at options now, thanks or all advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now