ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Help! Torn between mats...

(10 Posts)
Fannydabbydozey Thu 05-Jun-14 10:39:14

So after another unsatisfactory sleeping experience whilst camping last week I'm taking the plunge and buying something comfortable.

I have a bell tent and am considering getting an inner - I know it spoils the space but I'm too damn cold at night and that will help, plus it will make my silly Lurcher feel more secure is he's hemmed in.

I WAS going to go for a double outwell posada with our current sleeping mats on top (aldi ones) but the dog likes to join us and that would be a hideous nights sleep. Plus I think the height would bother me with the inner.

Now I'm going down the horrendously expensive sleeping mat route. From my endless research I'm torn between the outwell dreamboat, the exped megamat and the thermarest dreamtime. Anyone have either of these? Anyone have something cheaper which is also fabulously comfortable? I can't do another creaking bones night... I was exhausted after our last trip.

yellowdinosauragain Thu 05-Jun-14 11:20:21

I find the aldi ones very comfortable so I'm not going to be any help I guess!

bedhaven Fri 06-Jun-14 08:05:13

I've just ordered the exped megamat so will let you know what it's like when it arrives. I was persuaded by the great reviews on various blogs for exped in general and their customer service. I sleep on my side which seems to be the worst way for camping comfort! I started here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/camping/1165753-Ok-so-what-is-the-most-comfy-option-for-a-camp-bed-mattress-if-price-not-an-issue/AllOnOnePage and fanned out to much the same choices as you. Decided my sleeping comfort is worth it!

Fannydabbydozey Fri 06-Jun-14 19:23:45

Oh yes please tell your thoughts when you get it. I am a side sleeper too, sometime also in he recovery position and I wake up so achey!

Velo Fri 06-Jun-14 19:43:45

I have the exped ultralite and it's brilliant - super comfortable and I think that anything in the range would be goog.

Whycantibetangy Sat 07-Jun-14 22:15:53

We have just got 2 Outwell dreamboats. I was shock at the price but it really has made a massive difference. I sleep in the recovery position so need a bit of extra space to spread grin they really are the dogs bollocks!

BlueDoorEA Sun 08-Jun-14 14:42:04

I sleep on a Go Outdoors 5cm Self inflating mat and I don't wake up achey. Dd7 has a little 3cm Thermarest and dd11 has a Vango discovery mat with a kid of pillow bit at the top. We camped on a muddy bit of ground last weekend but with the mats, fleece on top and tucked into our sleeping bags we didn't feel cold from the ground at all. I slept on an ordinary inflatable mattress a couple of years ago and woke up feeling cold every night. Since getting the SIMs I'll never sleep on a deep inflatable mattress full of cold air ever again!

bedhaven Wed 11-Jun-14 21:22:36

The exped megamat has arrived and I'm writing this lounging very comfortably on it. We got a double set and it comes with a coupler strap to tie them together. Let it self inflate for a day and then needed about 50 pumps on the supplied mini pump to get it as hard as I wanted. It feels like being on a memory foam mattress. Really excited about the potential of a great nights sleep camping! It's really easy to fold up again too and comes with a repair kit and bag. HTH

yellowdinosauragain Thu 12-Jun-14 19:15:00

Bedhaven is it wrong that I sniggered at the innuendos in your post like a teenage boy? Is there anyone else as childish? No? I'll get my coat...

Mattress sounds blissful though....

bedhaven Fri 13-Jun-14 08:06:03

Reading it back yellowdinosaur, not at all! I'm now sniggering also but it was all sadly unintentional innuendo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now