Camping Valhalla

(10 Posts)
3bunnies Mon 02-Jun-14 09:36:02

Just returned from camping in Sweden and Denmark and the campsites all had their own communal kitchens with cookers, rings, microwaves, dishwashers and dining areas, spotlessly clean. All included in the price. Good play facilities too plus saunas on most sites. Mrbunnies did murmur something about being against the spirit of camping but it was great not needing to huddle over a gas burner. Sweden was quite cheap too - around £20 per night for tent and 5 people. Beautiful on the West Coast, lovely sunny weather and their peak times are June/July/ beginning Aug so would be a good late summer destination too.

thedevilinside Mon 02-Jun-14 09:59:13

Sounds good, how did you get there? we are looking for somewhere different to camp in August

3bunnies Mon 02-Jun-14 10:17:31

We're close to Dover so went from there, caught another ferry from puttgarden to Denmark (just turn up didn't need to book) and ferry from Denmark to Sweden and conveniently Obelink was on the route - a different type of camping heaven! Another time though I think we might go one way at least from Harwich as it was a lot of driving, The ferry dates didn't really work with half term though.

thedevilinside Mon 02-Jun-14 11:54:22

Thanks, will look into it, might go for the Harwich option though, to save on driving

CampingClaire Mon 02-Jun-14 12:10:31

How long did you go for? We've been tempted by doing this but normally do the 3 week summer trip to France. Really fancy Sweden but is it not really expensive to buy food (and wine!!!)?

spottydolphin Mon 02-Jun-14 12:15:56

ooh!!!

i was looking into doing this a couple of years ago but we never made it happen.
what were the travel costs like, if you don't mind me asking?

3bunnies Mon 02-Jun-14 13:51:35

We were just there for half term - 3 nights in Denmark, 3 in Sweden, and stopovers in Germany/ Netherlands there and back. Another time we would try to go for 3 weeks but we would have to go in August so would lose the long nights. We only saw a tiny bit of Norway on day trip - it would be nice to see more although v expensive. Sweden was reasonable, Denmark and Norway quite pricey. If kitchens aren't your thing you can wild camp for free in less populated areas in Sweden.

We spent about £150 on ferries, bridges etc, plus fuel and dover calais crossing. Not the cheapest travel wise so probably worth going for longer to get the value. Will probably go back with canoe when all the dc can swim. Didn't try buying wine - not sure if you can import some!

Cereal0ffender Tue 03-Jun-14 20:06:49

Worth it to visit the sacred site of oberlink alone

Wow - that sounds fab! I'm relatively new to camping and love it, but definitely don't like slumming it. Plus I have a real hankering to see more of Scandinavia. Journey sounds quite a trek though!

runnervt Tue 03-Jun-14 20:25:04

Good to hear! We're off to Denmark for a camping trip at the end of the month. I have just bought more gas but maybe we'll just bring it home again unused!
Where were you in Denmark?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now