Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

First time camping no idea what we need!

(15 Posts)

Going camping for a week in July to Cornwall. I have never been on a camping holiday and to be honest I have no idea what to expect!
It's not just myself and my husband, but DD who is 4yo and DS who will be 18 months old.
So any tips?smile

Kaz20530 Tue 22-Apr-14 21:42:51

Are you taking your own tent or staying in a pre-erected one with camping gear provided? V different answers depending on which!

We are taking our own tent, and that is literally the only thing we have at the mo!

dannyboyle Wed 23-Apr-14 14:48:57

We are starting out as well with a 3 and nearly 2 year old. We have tent (with footprint and carpet), sim for us, blow up beds for kids (youngest a bit big for a travel cot), rechargeable Coleman lamp and electric hook up kit. Camped for first time in families garden last weekend to test tent. Camping stoves, tables, chairs etc will follow in big shopping trip next month.

ShoeWhore Wed 23-Apr-14 14:53:04

I'd do a trial run somewhere near home for a night or two first perhaps.

There's a good checklist on here somewhere if you do a quick search.

I like a proper pillow and try to take something precooked like a chilli that can be reheated and eaten with bread the first night. Oh and flipflops for the shower - and a plastic bag to put your clothes in.

ShoeWhore Wed 23-Apr-14 16:03:44
dannyboyle Wed 23-Apr-14 17:33:51

Thanks for linking that. Very useful :-)

Some very useful tips, thank you!

CoffeeChocolateWine Thu 24-Apr-14 00:33:17

That checklist is pretty thorough I'd say. But I'd also add a BBQ and chacoal and small bin liners!

My advice would be to invest in a good cooker...it really makes the difference between our family camping trips being a breeze and really hard work. We have this one and I would never want to go camping without it now. And I wouldn't want to be without these fantastic coffee mugs either!

Before you go have a think/make a list of some meals (including breakfasts) that you could quite happily cook on a 2 ring hob. There are loads...we have some brilliant camping meals, but it's worth giving some thought. And also make a list of the utensils you'll need as well as crockery, cutlery, pots and pans etc.

It can get very cold at night, even in mid-summer, so take duvets and extra blankets and onesies for the kids. My worst fear is always us not being warm enough at night...again, this makes the difference between an enjoyable and bloody awful trip!

As well as torches/head torches which you'll definitely need, get a decent light for the tent in the evenings.

And you'll also need a kite, a frisbie and a cricket bat smile

CoffeeChocolateWine Thu 24-Apr-14 00:38:37

Oh and I agree, definitely try a trial run for a night or two before you go for a week. And if you can't do that, try a trial packing of the car...there's a fair chance you'll need to buy a roof box if you haven't got one already!

I have a plastic storage box that I keep all the kitchen stuff in, washing up bowl, tea towels, utensils etc.... That way when you come back it's all in one place for storage and you don't have to regather stuff for next time, you just pop the box in the car.

Also recommend mattresses with built in pumps. The singles take 4 x DD batteries. That way in the night they are easy to fill up, no faffing with foot pumps etc... I'm going to actually get a cot for Next time, but will need a roof box to fit one in!

Thebeachismyhappyplace Thu 24-Apr-14 06:19:32

Where are you staying in .cornwall?

It does get cold but the stars are beautiful even though we are local can't resist sitting out staring at them. Pack as many fleecy blanked as you can get your hands on!

If you can get easily to penryn from the campsite..? Seasalt has a factory shop and their fluffy socks are my comfort and or DCs too, v cheap at this place.

Thebeachismyhappyplace Thu 24-Apr-14 06:23:07

And organise a tesco shop to be delivered the day you arrive or do a run to lidl/aldi. There are some great farm shops here let me know if you want deets as some much more reasonable than others. Also we always pack a home made vege curry for our first night and cook DCs sausages. Happy all round.

And I freeze chilli or spag Bol, it defrosts overnight/journey there and we have with cheese and tortilla chips on night 2... Always tired this day and experience has taught us to not faff with a BBQ on this night. Especially if it might be cold grin

expatinscotland Thu 24-Apr-14 20:30:57

Baby wipes!

Lettucesnow Thu 24-Apr-14 20:34:07

Have a look on ukcamping webpage. When I started out with a family in a tent they were great! I now own a campervan and still use them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now