I got shiny new camping stuff!!

(11 Posts)
jollyjester Wed 16-Apr-14 09:41:00

It's my birthday today (also my wedding anniversary) and my lovely PIL bought DH and I a campingaz double stove with grill! It's so great as we always just used a single ring and a trangia (a throwback from our wild camping days before DD)

Its so shiny and new and I just wanted to be excited about it around people who understand! Work colleagues think I'm bonkers!

I was going to buy one of these stoves before our week camping trip in the summer but I can now use that money towards some other camping stuff.

What other essentials do I need? grin

shirazplease Wed 16-Apr-14 10:32:20

yay! we have that one and love it. Just got my mum to buy me the bag it goes in as was fed up of it flying out of its (now very battered) box.

Just think of all the things that you'll be able to cook AT THE SAME TIME!

jollyjester Wed 16-Apr-14 11:06:40

I know, I want to make something now!! Is the bag worth getting?

I'm going to be able to boil the kettle and cook in a pan at the same time!

I love shiny things in their boxes and after even one night away the box is ripped to pieces!

Milliways Wed 16-Apr-14 20:34:31

Happy Birthday smile You now need to book a weekend away before the Summer to test drive the stove grin

Have you got a camping kitchen'table to put it on? We got a great lightweight one that has a good shelf underneath and decent shelves either side to keep all you ingredients/utensils on.

We now have a Motorhome but DH prefers cooking outside wherever possible with the stove or the fab Lotus Grill BBQ.

jollyjester Wed 16-Apr-14 21:04:47

I haven't a camping kitchen yet but we have an outlet shopping centre nearby so I'm going to go looking at the weekend!

Will have to test drive it soon, our local forest park is 2 miles away and I have to admit we do go for 1 night stays as soon as it's warm enough. Heat wave this bank holiday maybe?! Fingers crossed!

hillbilly Wed 16-Apr-14 21:17:20

Happy Birthday! I have a shiny new Weber BBQ and it's having its first outing tomorrow. Can't wait grin

Blu Thu 17-Apr-14 14:17:20

Ooh, Hillbilly - we have to swap notes on using a Weber BBQ - I am not experienced in using one with a lid and all the possibilities that entails.

What sort have you got? I keep looking wistfully at my new, as yet unused Go Anywhere, which is sitting shinily in the spare room. I think you got a GoAnywhere, too, didn't you?

I am looking at the instructions for 'indirect cooking' with interest.

JollyJester - I have that stove - it is very excellent. It boils water much faster than one of those single ring briefcase stoves, for example.

I have mended and strengthened our battered box with parcel tape, a bag is tempting....

hillbilly Mon 21-Apr-14 21:45:33

Blu yes I got the Go Anywhere. Just got back from Forgewood and although I had taken it, I did not use it at all due to the fact that the wood there was nice and dry so managed to cook over the fire using my cooking grill. It was a back up really since DH usually does the fire and he was not with us, but I am very proud of myself that I had great fires everyday. We will have to test it out at home, especially the indirect cooking. It is not so shiny now though as it sat next to the fire and got covered in ash and general detritus!

Blu Tue 22-Apr-14 17:32:40

Well done on your campfire cooking! I do feel a bit over-cookered sometimes, with stove, campfire grill and BBQ, and then try and use them just for the sake of it!

I picked up a Webber leaflet at the weekend that says brownies can be baked in the BBQ using the 'indirect' method.

That will give Slubs and her Cobb a run for her money grin

yellowdinosauragain Sun 27-Apr-14 12:39:57

I've made brownies in my Cobb Blu. And scones <top trumps win>

Blu Sun 27-Apr-14 16:26:11

It's true, you are the Mary Berry of the Wilderness, Slubber,.

For now.

<<bides time>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now