Anyone with a Mazda Bongo?

(12 Posts)
MavisGrind Sat 12-Apr-14 22:07:32

I'm thinking of getting a Bongo but would need to use it as a main vehicle. Anyone got any experience of fuel consumption? I commute about 40 miles per day so not sure if it would be too heavy on fuel for this.

Positive and negative experiences welcome!

CorusKate Sun 13-Apr-14 15:33:45

Mazda Bongo Friendee is the best name for a car there has ever been. <unhelpful>

MadamBatShit Sun 13-Apr-14 15:41:51

We were looking into vans last summer.. went to have a closer look at one, did a drive..
They are utter shite. Do about 20 to the gallon or so which is like chucking money out the window compared to other vans. The motor is up front, very uncomfortable. Tiny inside.
Horrible vans.
Get something more modern I'd say, they are very expensive for what they are. You can get a newer van with better consumption for the same price.

hz Mon 14-Apr-14 09:30:23

Ahem, madambatshit I have to disagree with many of your comments being a proud owner of a Bongo! Definitley not uncomfortable, great spec available on lots of vans, they are smaller than VW's but still fine for a family if 4 (two smallish children). However, is is true that fuel consumption is a problem. I wouldn't want to use it as main vehicle. But mine is a V6 which is pretty powerful but especially thirsty. The smaller petrol engine is better though a bit sluggish on hills. The best bet is a diesel if you can get a good one. In terms of driving it on a daily basis otherwise it is great, very easy to drive and park as they often have parking sensors. Ours has been very reliable, as long as you are sensible whenyou buy Japanese cars are generally very reliable. The only downside is not being able to get into multi storey carparks as height is 2.1m. If you want more info about Bongo's have a look here.

highlove Mon 14-Apr-14 09:47:57

I'm with madambatshit - Bongos are terrible, awful, pointless vehicles. Far and away the least comfortable van we've used. Tiny. It's basically an uncomfortable and poorly designed standard people carrier with some extra stuff crammed in.

highlove Mon 14-Apr-14 09:48:48

But I agree the name is great - probably the only thing they've got going for them!

MavisGrind Mon 14-Apr-14 10:11:52

Ok, thanks all - the quest for an everyday vehicle that isn't thirsty but which will also allow me and the dcs to have a holiday once in a while goes on....

Any suggestions??

MadamBatShit Mon 14-Apr-14 15:44:57

Volkswagen Transporter, Ford Transit, Mercedes Vito, that kind of van?
Bit bigger, depending on wheel base of course end much better fuel wise, depending on age.

sorry hz!

We had a Bongo for 2 years and it was fantastic. If you want an older camper then this is definitely the way to go; don't go for a "stylish" VW as they're ridiculous amounts of money and break down a lot. Our Bongo was 15 years old, so very cheap, but had air con, full electric raising roof, windows, blinds etc and was really comfortable to ride in. No idea what difference having the engine in the front makes to comfort? However, they are quite thirsty. Ours was a 4wd diesel engine and did about 22 to the gallon. They are particuarly useful as day to day cars, as the very rear seats fold up against the sides, so you can use the whole of back like a van.

If you can afford a more modern van, then maybe a newer VW but definitely not a Mercedes rustbucket Vito.

hz Mon 14-Apr-14 18:23:56

Phew, glad to hear someone with something positive to say about the lovely Bongo! Highlove 'terrible, awful, pointless vehicles' is rather harsh to say the least! Ours has given us three years of brilliant, frequent camping holidays with great spec and less than half the price of a vw of similar spec. I suspect the usefulness of bongos as a campervan depends a lot on the conversion.

flier Tue 15-Apr-14 21:19:43

Have you come across the Nissan Elgrand? Unfortunately still very thirsty, but I heard roomier than the Bongo. We're trying to import one ourselves just now.

Mum4Fergus Sat 19-Apr-14 19:22:17

I don't recall petrol being overly expensive but tax was heavy. We had one for 18 months and was my day to day transport...loved it and would definitely invest in one again...Olly had to be sold to give me last of deposit for the house hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now