5m bell tent - family of 5?

(14 Posts)
wickedfairy Tue 08-Apr-14 17:49:49

Hi, have been hankering after a bell tent for a while and now DC3 is here, we need a new tent anyway!

We are in the North, so nowhere close to go and have a look, that I am aware of... Do you think a 5m tent would be big enough for 2adults and 3kids (7,3,1)?

Also, would a quarter inner be worth it for the children (even though it may spoil the look inside)? TIAsmilesmile

WildApples Tue 08-Apr-14 18:25:41

I'd go for it if you can afford it (especially if its canvas), im only 14weeks gone and already eyeing up a new "family sized" tent, have promised my husband i'll get rid of 1 or 2 of the other 6 tents we already have...
5m sounds plenty big enough, and I'd go for the quarter inner just for privacy (I do know tents btw, ive worked in outdoor retail 7 years!)
Hope you find something wonderful and fill it with huge cushions!

hazeyjane Tue 08-Apr-14 18:33:00

We have a 5m bell tent for us (me, dh, dcs - 7,6,4) we decided against and inner because we all end up sleeping in together - it is great and plenty big enough - we have 2 big air beds for sleeping on, one of which is an inflatable sofa for lounging around on inside if it is raining.

We have the above for us & triplets with a quarter inner for privacy.works a treat .we don't put it up if its a stopover but otherwise wouldn't be without it.its cosier for bedtime when it's colder & we sleep on the roll up mattresses which have been worth every penny as we roll them up in the morning and pop them in the inner for them to lean against during the day

Chimchar Sun 13-Apr-14 19:20:35

We have a 5m for slightly bigger kids...13,10,7.

It's great. We don't have an inner. Find the way we lay out the beds suits us great. Re privacy...we don't have any!

wickedfairy Mon 14-Apr-14 14:40:09

Thanks for your advice everyone - I really want one, but DH wants to see one in real life first to gauge the size....

Pimpf Fri 09-May-14 23:43:53

You know you can get 6m ones now. Or even the emperor...

UterusUterusGhali Sat 10-May-14 10:05:18

I have a 5m which fits five comfortably.

A 6m would be awesome though!

wickedfairy Sat 10-May-14 12:19:17

We bought the 5m one, it arrived the other daysmile. Haven't opened it yet as it's been raining here loads, but will try and get it up this week. It does weigh a tonne though!!

hz Sat 10-May-14 15:13:06

I used to put a 5m bell tent up in a park on a weekly basis for an outdoor playgroup. I found the best way to deal with the heaviness was to seperate the poles from the tent. Then it becomes manageable. Lucky you, I'm sure you will love it once you get the chance to use it. Some friends of mine just came back from using theirs for the first time,
after much indecision about buying one, and they totally loved it!

Branleuse Sat 10-May-14 15:15:34

i desperately want one

Pimpf Sun 11-May-14 18:43:44

You could also buy a separate bag for the main tent and the ground sheet if yours separate. Got the spare bag from soulpad

MinimalistMommi Sun 18-May-14 18:18:41

It will be lovely, just don't bother with the inner!

Miffytastic Mon 19-May-14 21:16:32

I have a 5m for family of 4, we have a half inner which zips into two- can't imagine not having it. Only drawback is lack of a pretty roof view from your bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now