New camping essential - a tablecloth!

(24 Posts)
HexBramble Thu 24-Apr-14 17:48:18

Shiraz fab, thanks!

shirazplease Thu 24-Apr-14 09:20:18

pvc fabric

I've got something like this. Says it's oilcloth, but isn't really, it's just like what you'd find in a greasy spoon, but perfect for camping

HexBramble Wed 23-Apr-14 21:47:31

Is there such a thing as a cross between an oil cloth and a regular fabric one? Oil cloth too stiff and bulky, cloth one too vulnerable with my messy lot. A thin, foldable, wipeable one would be perfect!

Parliamo Mon 21-Apr-14 16:45:35

Pegs to stop it blowing away!

We used to think it was very funny on holiday in France- all the French families with their table clothes and elaborate lunches with fancy padded chairs, knives, forks, wine glasses etc. although we were laughing more at all that effort, when they had stopped just anywhere just because it was 12 on the dot, even if it was a dusty grass verge eating diesel fumes

IloveJudgeJudy Mon 21-Apr-14 16:37:30

We, too, have a tablecloth, with flowers/herbs on it at the main campsite, We also use a cloth for the concrete motorway stop tables.

TheFantasticMrsFox Wed 16-Apr-14 20:14:07

Ooh, I always have a small jamjar of flowers, bunting, pots of herbs etc but have never branched out into tablecloths. I have cloth envy for the PP with the Cath Kidson one though <envy>

shirazplease Wed 16-Apr-14 10:33:51

our table cloth lives inside the fold up table when it's packed away, hence it's essentially taking up free space! grin

Pixel Tue 15-Apr-14 22:33:18

Well I do have a tablecloth with strawberries on it that would fit our table and look very nice...

No, no! I already have far too many 'essential' things to take camping <slaps self>.

shirazplease Mon 14-Apr-14 20:05:47

I bought some PVC cloth off ebay. Worked out really cheap, and whilst on our long trip to France, had a pot of basil to pretty it up, as well as being functional smile

FourArms Sun 13-Apr-14 19:11:43

Bought a lovely Cath Kidston tablecloth from the carboot today for £3 smile

UterusUterusGhali Sat 12-Apr-14 21:18:30

I use one on my garden table to hide it's dirty, shameful looks, and I'm sure I took one camping last.
Big white linen one.

Lovecat Sat 05-Apr-14 01:44:27

I am an unapologetic camping ponce and I have 3; a practical Aldi plastic one with daisies on it, a pretty cutwork-edged purple one from Butlers and an antique embroidered one I pinched from home that my nan had sewn (but I believe you can pick them up for a tenner or so on eBay) grin

chicaguapa Thu 03-Apr-14 22:24:36

I'm looking at designs. I don't want polka dots, stripes or gingham. But want it to be summery. Poppies sound nice but might clash with my vase of flowers. grin

I'm thinking of butterflies.

BingoWingsBeGone Thu 03-Apr-14 22:20:39

We have a wipeclean one with poppies on and clips to hold it to the table. And yes, we were shamed into it by the Dutch campers.....

potbellyroast Thu 03-Apr-14 22:18:55

Poundland have lovely butterfly tablecloth weights which we usually get so it doesn't blow away.

blackteaplease Thu 03-Apr-14 20:54:08

We just use a sarong, or the picnic blanket on those concrete tables. Don't bother with anything on the camping table.

I did take great delight in having flowers last year, freshly picked in a jamjar. I am turning into a camping ponce.

Blu Thu 03-Apr-14 20:51:52

Lidl have some fake-oilskin tablecloths that looked ideal for camping- £4.99. I nearly bought a green spotty one or a check one and then thought 'I don't need this!'.

Was I wrong?

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 02-Apr-14 13:55:04

Oh yes, Chiguapa - we have one of those grin. Essential!

chicaguapa Tue 01-Apr-14 21:59:34

And then one of these for your flowers. grin

Blu Tue 01-Apr-14 16:56:24

Since I have a crap roll up table with slats I think a table cloth would be quite good.

Need something to clip it down though, so that the general gales and storms don't blow it away.

More things to add to the camping list!

ViviPru Tue 01-Apr-14 16:54:18

I just have a few metres of cheapo gingham fabric that I use...

Heifer Tue 01-Apr-14 16:10:21

I was about to post that I want one! but then I took hold of myself firmly, slapped myself around the head a few times and relaxed.
No, would just be something else to iron.... grin

ncjustbecause Tue 01-Apr-14 14:06:01

I have a camping one. It's from John Lewis and is dead swish.

chicaguapa Tue 01-Apr-14 08:22:47

I've been reading on ukcampsite that apparently the French use a tablecloth on the concrete tables in the aires and the Dutch put a tablecloth on their camping table with a vase of flowers in the middle.

I think this sounds lovely and now covet a tablecloth. I am deciding on designs. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now