A blue tent or a green one?!! Vango Maritsa 600

(19 Posts)
lynniep Wed 19-Mar-14 18:37:51

Seems trivial no?

But I'm just about to buy our first tent. I've pretty much decided on the Maritsa even though it will be almost impossible to find the footprint or carpet to match. Hey ho. We'll cope.

The cheapest by £50 that I have found is 'true navy' (link to see colour only)

The moss green one though at 50 quid more is far more appealling. Aesthetically, but I could get over that, but practically I wondered will I regret going for the blue. I'm thinking its a bit depressing and dull living in a blue house for a camping trip. I don't want to regret it as its going to be a bit outlay.

Having never been camping (not since Glastonbury two decades ago anyway and the tent colour didn't really bother me then!) I don't know if I'm worrying about nothing?

Camping wisdom please mnetters.

Sillysarah49 Wed 19-Mar-14 20:15:32

Ooh we saw this tent on Sunday - think husband is buying it tomorrow. We are getting the blue one. Know what you mean about the carpet and footprint. However, I think there are generic ones out there which will do. I think perhaps you are worrying needlessly about the colour - you'll love it - I've been goggling camping recipes today such is my excitement!

Blu Wed 19-Mar-14 21:48:37

I am a bit anti blue tents, but at least that one isn't the bright blue of the Hi Gear tents, for example.

As you say far more appealing, then I think you will prefer the green enough to always regret it if you get the blue.

Vango tents are good and last a long time. £5 a year?

hillbilly Wed 19-Mar-14 22:31:33

Get the one you like best. It will make you feel good :-)

lynniep Wed 19-Mar-14 23:02:14

my gut says I will regret not getting green. so if dh goes for it I think I will. it is !y favourite colour after all grin grin

lynniep Wed 19-Mar-14 23:07:27

siilysarah is it fab? I haven't seen it in real life, but have seen the nadina which I'm told is the successor but ius exclusive to gooutdoors for some reason. and would buy that except for it has an open porch which I've heard is a big no no. and its more expensive. was also looking at the palena, another discontinued one, but the Maritsa just has all the features I want.

piratecat Wed 19-Mar-14 23:08:25

green tents feel warmer when you are in them, the light hitting blue tents is a bit stark iyswim.

Ludways Wed 19-Mar-14 23:15:41

Last tent was blue, everything seemed cold and grey.

Current tent is green, warmer glow.

Sillysarah49 Thu 20-Mar-14 06:45:49

It does indeed look fab. Very large, but I think thats a good thing and the porch area is also large so great for boots/wellies/bags etc. while keeping the living area tidy. I liked the Palena, but missed out on it, but this one has the same spacious feeling and feels lovely and light.

Sillysarah49 Thu 20-Mar-14 07:20:44

Just been on Atwoolls website. They say if you have an older model tent and can't get a carpet, they can make them for you - worth knowing.

We have the 500 and it's great. Like you we got it in blue despite preferring the green but for us the saving was about £200 so no brainer really. We're happy with the blue.

lynniep Thu 20-Mar-14 10:51:20

thanks all. I'm about 99% on the green! If it was £200 difference I would definately go for blue, but £50 I can just about justify - will do a bit of ebaying to try and make up the difference smile

I've compared the floor plans of the palena and the maritsa, and whilst I can get the palena significantly cheaper (£100), the maritsa is wider and longer and I like the layout more. For something that we are going to live in for short bursts, I think its really important I pick the right one, as long as its within budget.

I will email Atwolls and ask about prices of custom made carpets. TBH though I'm not that fussed that it fits exactly. A rug in the middle would do me fine.

lynniep Sun 23-Mar-14 14:16:19

Well, this morning I bought a tent on ebay. I actually got the maritsa 700 in moss. So I got green. And I went big!
Now the hunt for camping gadgets begins!

Nobloomingideapgornot Sun 23-Mar-14 14:27:52

Highly recommend the green Maritsa....our friends have it, whilst we have the samara 600.. Nothing better than matching tents and accessories lol!!

Everything camping from kitchen untensils to our sleeping bags are green!!

Good luck

newcamper Sun 23-Mar-14 16:41:06

Hi.

We bought the maritsa 600 (blue) last weekend. I have had my eye on it for over a year and kept looking at other tents but coming back to this. I liked the blackout curtains and the facts that there were 2 enclosed living spaces.

We pitched it in the garden and it seemed way bigger than i remember it being in the shop but I LOVE it!!!

I'm so excited about camping now. Started googling campsites.

The kids pretty much moved in last weekend and have named the small (kitchen) the playroom.

Anyway, it was easy to pitch and took about 1 hour which included counting/checking poles and a 5 and 2 year old helping. I reckon we could do it in 30 mins.

We got tent, footprint and carpet for £400 from winfields.

Enjoy

Sillysarah49 Sun 23-Mar-14 20:25:48

We got the Maritsa 600 in blue from Winfields yesterday. It is now languishing in our dining room (no idea where we are going to store it!).
Very excited - spending a lot of time looking at campsites and equipment.

lynniep Mon 24-Mar-14 10:33:24

Glad to hear the 600 was easy to pitch! hopefully 700 will be similar! - will get a practice run this weekend, weather permitting (and assuming it arrives by then!) I got it for £400, which I thought was ok for a 2013 tent. I bought the footprint for £50, and I'm going to have to improvise with the carpet situation.
I suspect the tent will take up the entire garden. Will put the footprint down first to check!

I do need to now sort the garage out, as I use it for storing stuff and there is actually no floor space left in there to put the tent. I dread the garage clearout!

dannyboyle Fri 11-Apr-14 13:23:35

Have just bought this tent in moss green. Will be putting up at Easter with two small children in tow. Any advice on how best to erect it would be much appreciated!!

newcamper Thu 24-Apr-14 09:29:41

Hi Danny.

I'm guessing you have pitched your tent by now and found the best way!

I put pegs at back, put all poles through, then pinned them, then pegged.

Hardest part was getting the second pin into each pole which I'm not convinced I could have done on my own.

How did it go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now