Camping/Walking Clothing

(10 Posts)
Romily Thu 13-Mar-14 16:22:18

We are heading off camping for the first time in May and I am having a wardrobe crisis blush Currently I have a wardrobe filled with dresses and skirts so nothing suitable for walking or camping and as such I need to get a few bits before we go away.

It is important to me to be warm, dry, comfy and able to get mucky and have fun with the children. The weather is likely to be cold and wet so I want to be prepared.

I have a waterproof jacket but other than that nothing I could wear that is warm or suitable for outdoor adventures, not even jeans, so I need to plan from scratch.

Thank you!

Mum2Fergus Thu 13-Mar-14 18:43:59

I like cargo trousers, the ones you can zip off at the knees (in the rare event of some sun lol) and borrow DPs under armour stuff...get things that you can layer.

hoboken Thu 13-Mar-14 18:55:08

Waterproof, breathable over-trousers, wellies, walking boots (waterproof & leather if you are planning some real treks) and when you buy them get suitable socks at the same time to try them together.

Layers of light clothing in case it's cold. Waterproof gloves (even in May), fleece hat. Agree that zip-off at the knee trousers would be good.

Mountain Warehouse is online and has reductions at the mo (buy boots in a shop, though, to try them on,

Romily Fri 14-Mar-14 17:51:55

Thanks for the suggestions, are there fleece brands that you would recommend?

Slubberdegullion Fri 14-Mar-14 18:08:30

The craghopper kiwi winter lined trousers are lovely. Really warm. I wear thermal long johns underneath and then can sit outside all evening without legs getting cold.

Layers on top is the way to go. Cotton best avoided. Go outdoors stocks a large selection of outdoorsy wear.

Lifestooshorttosleep Sun 23-Mar-14 08:20:22

Thermal underwear is great for sleeping in as an alternative to regular pjs. I love Craghoppers and North Face for fleeces - more expensive but good quality. Decent walking socks are also a must.

twattock Sun 23-Mar-14 12:14:48

Check out patra silk online too. silk long johns and long sleeve t-shirts are the best! incredibly warm, the military use them for arctic expeditions.

whitecat Tue 25-Mar-14 10:21:24

You don't need to spend big to be warm. Fleece is fleece and will keep you warm whether it is from North Face or Aldi. Primark often do Sprayway breathable waterproof golf trousers (I found black but there were other colours too). The hideous all in one fleece animal suits are really good for sleeping in when it's cold. Uniqlo Heat Tech is wonderful stuff for keeping warm too.

TeaOneSugar Wed 02-Apr-14 16:39:17

Just to add, our standards of cleanliness slip somewhat while camping, useful in terms of being to pack fewer clothes smile

Romily Wed 02-Apr-14 18:27:05

I bought a fleece from Mountain Warehouse and got a lightweight branded waterproof from TKMax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now