Taking a tent on a plane.

(6 Posts)
MameHootieBench Thu 13-Mar-14 14:45:28

Anyone done it? Does it just go as outsize baggage?

badger21 Thu 13-Mar-14 19:33:37

We've taken a small backpacking tent on a plane - in the pre-children life - but not yet a family sized tent. Been all over - Greece, Spain, Portugal. States - Boston, deep south etc. Great fun!

MameHootieBench Fri 14-Mar-14 07:45:20

This is one of those circular pop up family sized ones. Ooh, your camping trips sound more exciting than ours!

badger21 Fri 14-Mar-14 16:54:38

Not sure how you'd manage with one of these - but worth checking with the airline. Not done anything too adventurous with little ones yet - but would love to next year hopefully. Tend to have 3-4 weeks in France now - both on term-time contracts.

chemenger Fri 14-Mar-14 17:04:42

We have taken a tent (4 person) and all our camping paraphernalia to the US a couple of times. The only problem has been our camping stove, you have to be sure there is no residual fuel. We usually use Trangias (we are not luxury end campers) which airlines don't like, but in the US we cook mainly on fires or barbecues, which are usually provided on campsites. We also have a tiny gas burner for tea in the morning. We pack everything in two very big kit bags. Of course flying scheduled transatlantic you do get a much bigger baggage allowance than on charter flights or Easyjet etc. We looked at hiring equipment in the US but it was very expensive.

lemontwist Sat 15-Mar-14 08:56:26

I've taken a smallish 3 man tent on a plane before. Was travelling light as back packing for a month and I think we split it up between me and my friend so one carried the tent, the other the poles.
Not sure how big or heavy yours is but could maybe class as sporting goods which most airlines will carry for an extra charge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now