Beach holiday on south coast?

(10 Posts)
FlatsInDagenham Sun 02-Mar-14 21:04:39

I want to take the DDs camping this summer and we'd like to be near a decent beach.

I fancy trying out the south coast because I never have before (northerner).

So any recommendations for beach / town / campsite? With 2 young children I'd like good facilities but it doesn't have to be a holiday park atmosphere - simple is fine.

Asteria Mon 03-Mar-14 12:44:37

There is a lovely, very basic campsite in Osmington Mills, Dorset. Lovely atmosphere and plenty on site and nearby without the horrible over crowding and overpriced facilities of other local sites. The immediate beach is a bit but it is only 4 miles from Weymouth beach which is great for smalls and has lots of facilities. Ringstead is a pebble beach about a mile the other way with a lovely cafe. Both beaches are in a massive bay so the water is usually very calm and marginally warmer than further along in Devon. Nearer to Bournemouth is much sandier but I am not sure about campsites that way. Have a fab holiday wherever you go.

Asteria Mon 03-Mar-14 12:46:05

Would totally recommend North Norfolk too - although that is not exactly the south coast! That is where we go most summers.

OhNoYouExpedidnt Mon 03-Mar-14 12:56:32

We love Weymouth. Never camped so no suggestions there but love Weymouth beach and town.

MissWimpyDimple Mon 03-Mar-14 15:00:26

There are a number of really nice sites in wittering. Scott's farm, nunnington and more. The beach is really lovely

SteamboatSprings Mon 03-Mar-14 15:06:04

West Wittering - gorgeous beach

And you're very close to Chichester for nice shops, and only a bit further along the coast there's Portsmouth with its naval dockyard and Gunwharf Quays for factory outlet shops. Can also do a day-trip from Southsea to the Isle of Wight if you felt inclined.

SteamboatSprings Mon 03-Mar-14 15:07:25
melrose Mon 03-Mar-14 22:10:33

East fleet in ear Weymouth is a lovely site

melrose Mon 03-Mar-14 22:10:44

Near Weymouth!

chicaguapa Mon 03-Mar-14 22:15:20

Or a bit further along the Dorset coast towards Lyme Regis and Broadchurch country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now