Family camping surrey/ East Sussex

(15 Posts)
cherrypiesally Sun 02-Mar-14 18:05:14

Hi.
I am looking for recommendations for a family campsite that would be easy access for my SIL family coming from Reading area and us in SE London. I was thing possibly East Sussex.

It needs to have good showers and proper loos otherwise I don't think I will get my SIL under canvas ever again.

It will only be for a weekend so other facilities not a major issue. We are just getting SIL family to try out camping.

TIA

MissWimpyDimple Sun 02-Mar-14 21:20:18

Sumners ponds is lovely, it's in Horsham.

Really lovely facilities and it has a cafe bar on site. It's not the cheapest, but it's great for a forts time camp as it isn't as rustic as many others!

Honeybridge is also in the same area and could suit?

MissWimpyDimple Sun 02-Mar-14 21:20:55

Oh and the toilet blocks at sumners are heated and have piped classical music blushgrin

cherrypiesally Tue 04-Mar-14 20:24:07

Thanks, both those sites look lovely. Xx

Nonstoplaundry Tue 04-Mar-14 20:26:24

Park farm camping is great, decent showers etc. And a nice long walk to bodiam castle too

Thumbcat Wed 05-Mar-14 19:29:40

Nonstop have you camped at Park Farm in recent years? How was it? I saw the website and thought it looked great but then was put off by terrible reviews.

SilverSixpence Wed 05-Mar-14 19:31:16

The secret campsite - were in South East London and took us two hours in traffic. Gorgeous pitches, proper toilets and washing up facilities

SlimJimBra Wed 05-Mar-14 21:14:40

We're looking at www.horam-manor.co.uk never been but it looks good

cherrypiesally Sat 08-Mar-14 21:44:11

Thanks for the ideas.

Nobloomingideapgornot Sun 09-Mar-14 07:27:13

Horam manor is great! We use it every year as our first camping session to get tents out and tested. Perfect for littlehampton
Go for it!

3rdnparty Sat 22-Mar-14 10:09:11

www.hiddenspring.co.uk

nr horam is lovely ...they have a vineyard and not a lot of tents !

coffeecups Sun 23-Mar-14 19:51:14

I second the secret campsite and hidden springs. Both family run small campsites with the option to rent bell tents, yurts, shepherds huts as well as camp in tents.

Both lovely settings with nice walks and pubs nearby.

Stars66 Mon 24-Mar-14 22:58:16

WoWo in East Sussex is great, they reserve you a spot so it doesn't get too busy, they also have bell tents / yurts and a teepee for pretend campers with loads of cash And they have a communal fridge to keep your beers bits in.

Park farm is basic, I really enjoyed it in my pre-child days, now I require clean toilets, I'm looking for a bit more, although Bodium castle is so close that gives it bonus points!

Last year we went to a campsite in Tunbridge wells which I loved, but I can't remember it's name now so that's no good! Be back tmrwwink

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 25-Mar-14 11:21:37

Thumbcat, Park Farm is much better than it used to be. The loo/shower block was renovated so it now has some loos/showers, and they are regularly cleaned (at least when I last went they were). Also they are much stricter about late night noise and rowdiness than they used to be.

It's not a bad site now, although still pretty busy at weekends I would imagine, but the walk along the river/stream to the pub and castle is probably the best part. Older children love the rope swings too.

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 25-Mar-14 11:27:32

Oh, and OP I can recommend Chafford Park site which is a fairly new one not far from Tunbridge Wells. It has a nice warm loo/shower block (you pay for the showers but they are good and hot). Slightly lacking in numbers of loos (two for each sex) and could have done with a mirror in there too.

Not much by way of facilities but there are some rope swings for the children and a van comes one or both mornings with fresh bread etc. You can buy local ice cream there too. Nice pubs in the nearby village (although one of them has a very grumpy owner).

St Ives Farm is lovely too, in Winnie the Pooh country. Only problem is the loos/showers are all housed in portaloo blocks with some extra single ones dotted around which are like the grim ones you get at festivals. Possibly not ideal for the more faint hearted novice camper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now