Are tents with a stove safe

(3 Posts)
beatricequimby Fri 28-Feb-14 20:19:18

I was thinking of booking a couple of nights in a Kata which has a wood-burning stove. But I am a bit worried about fire risk and carbon monoxide. Any Mumsnet wisdom?

www.comriecroft.com/sleep/katas.html

Sorry can't do a link but this is where I was thinking of.

dyslexicdespot Sat 01-Mar-14 19:02:48

I'm not sure it the tent would be safe, but my family almost died of carbon monoxide poisoning when I was a teen. As a result I'm very, very aware of the dangers and always bring a CM alarm with me when I travel. We have one in the house as well.

They are very cheap and save lives!

www.amazon.co.uk/Kidde-900-0233-Battery-Carbon-Monoxide/dp/B0030BEM00/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1393700364&sr=8-12&keywords=carbon+monoxide+detector

stationtostation Tue 04-Mar-14 21:26:02

We have a Belltent with a stove and always use a carbon monoxide monitor just encase although I feel they are safe.
I have actually stayed in the Katas at Comrie and feel they are much safer than a tent. They are like a small cabin really, even though the walls aren't wood. They are a large space and have a tall and wide flue from the stove to ensure a good draw from the stove. The floors are wooden boards and let plenty air through for safe ventilation. (bit drafty when we were there but it was snowing outside so the air was very cool)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now