What do you do in the evenings when camping?

(15 Posts)
jennylamb1 Tue 25-Feb-14 21:55:49

I am interested in camping, as it's a great good value way to enjoy getting away in the school holidays, and with a few mod cons (nice big tent etc.) lots of comfortable bedding, nice food and so forth it isn't like the old days of roughing it. However, what do people do in the evenings? Myself, the little one and partner would usually watch a DVD and enjoy a glass of wine on holiday, but I'm not sure our DVD player battery would last that long without electricity, and what else could we do? It's the one thing that is stumping me a bit, ideas please! smile

woodrunner Tue 25-Feb-14 22:45:03

Depends where you camp but we often go for a wander. DC love being allowed to stay up late at night. On the bigger campsites they love to use the trampolines or volleyball pitches and play areas by starlight. Or walk down to the ocean. In Europe it's also much more normal to have children out with you at night, so you can find a café for a drink and take DC with you.

We do a lot of playing cards and games like Uno by candlelight outside the tent. Can read to DC by torchlight or play silly games like I Went To The Persian Market if DC like that sort of thing.

superram Tue 25-Feb-14 22:51:08

Nice weather-drink wine outside. Rain-drink wine inside tent. Board games, read, chat.

DCs play with children from nearby tents while we chat with the adults over a drink, or we go out for a meal/drink somewhere, go for evening walks etc. If it's raining, stay in the tent and do colouring, play card games, read books, get an early night. We all tend to go to bed at the same time when camping, usually 10-10.30 (DCs are 8 and 10 now, been doing it this way for several years).

sandiy Tue 25-Feb-14 23:15:07

My ex used to insist we camp in little more than a field then disappear off fishing for hours leaving me with 3 sleeping little ones.I used to read,sleep,and simmer quietly.
However now as a lone parent I camp with Electric hook up.I could not go back.The hook up lead is about £50.00 and the pitch is slightly more expensive and it means lights not petrol lanterns so you can have it in the tent,Kettle for tea coffee,lap top for movies.So if the weather sucks you can stay in but most importantly Electric fan heater.Oh yes no cold mornings for us it's lovely.It also means that you can cook using an electric gril toasty maker etc.Much more enjoyable all round.Iknow people who take little fridges and microwaves.
Obviously this is frowned upon by diehard campers,but I've done my time peeing in a hole,And too many boring evenings, Get some electric then at least you have the choice.

Lilly20again Sat 01-Mar-14 07:10:04

Laptop, iPad or we read...just get an adapter to charge it in the car. We usually drive around sightseeing so it's no issue.

Slubberdegullion Sat 01-Mar-14 07:32:01

Monopoly deal
Gin in a tin
Uno
Wine
Chat
Fiddle about with stuff on the Cobb
Stargaze
More wine

MinesAPintOfTea Sat 01-Mar-14 07:34:59

Wine and chat. Sometimes read or play a card game, inside or outside the van depending on weather. Its nice to be away from screens for a while.

Shockers Sat 01-Mar-14 07:35:09

Board games, cards, word games and we read to each other too. We've got a very big porch area, so we sit in there at the table and play if it's raining. I take strings of solar fairy lights and solar lanterns for round the entrance, so it's lovely in there.

Damson gin is my camping tipple... not as many loo visits needed.

hillbilly Sat 01-Mar-14 08:58:39

Wine, chat and mess about with the campfire.

hazeyjane Sat 01-Mar-14 09:05:15

Sometimes dd's stay up late, but usually go to sleep at normal time, then dh and I will sit and chat, drink wine, poke fire, eat crisps, read, play scrabble, etc.

Blu Mon 03-Mar-14 21:39:40

Having a campfire seems to be a complete activity.

The kids tear about until it is pitch black, and then some more, with glow sticks and torches. DS plays his guitar, we chat, stargaze, the kids tell awful jokes. The adults tell awful jokes, or if it pours with rain we go to bed early and lie in sleeping bags and read. I don't know, we just don't seem to need any particular activities.

invicta Mon 03-Mar-14 21:41:35

Adults - wine and chat

Children - cricket by torchlight with other children on the campsite

CMOTDibbler Mon 03-Mar-14 21:58:33

DS cycles or plays with other children till its dark, then he goes to bed. Dh and I sit with our kindles, hot chocolate and go to bed not much later! We like to get lots of sleep on holiday grin

If ds was back earlier or it was raining we'd play plop trumps/hey thats my fish or some other game

BakerandBell Fri 14-Mar-14 15:14:23

Have never had to worry about entertainment on a campsite as it's the one place the children seem to find stuff to do (playing with sticks, rolling around in straw, "helping" with the campfire etc) and we like to sit around and chat over a nice campfire dinner and glass (or 3) of wine. Usually forget all idea of children's bedtime and let them run free. It helps to go with other families but even if not the children usually find some playmates nearby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now