Anyone know anything about caravan heaters?

(12 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Sat 15-Feb-14 16:33:09

In our new caravan and it doesn't seem to be working. We're on ehu. Have turned it up to position five and light comes on and fan is whirring round but no heat. Its freezing.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sat 15-Feb-14 16:38:14

Can you take it back to were you bought it & ask them to check?

We had a portable heater in our caravan do exactly the same and we threw it away, so no help as to a potential fix. Sorry.

Stockhausen Sat 15-Feb-14 16:40:38

No idea, sorry! We have oil filled portable heaters & theyre fab, leave them on a peep overnight & it never gets too cold (we have smoke detectors)

colleysmill Sat 15-Feb-14 16:46:54

In my dads motorhome the fire would work on both gas and ehu but you had to make sure it was switched from gas to electric mode otherwise it would just wirr like.

Is that any help?

LightastheBreeze Sat 15-Feb-14 16:52:05

Ours takes a little while to warm up when we first switch it on. Also on the wall of our caravan is a on/off switch so we can choose how many watts we want, though they are probably all different

Furball Sat 15-Feb-14 16:56:30

you have to turn the black knob which is usually on the wall somewhere to 500 1000 or 2000 (speed of the fan) then it has numbers round the outside to do the temp - so I thing it's 1-9 - we used to have ours on 1000 and then no 7

there's a piccy of the control at the bottom of this page smile

VivaLeBeaver Sat 15-Feb-14 17:01:20

Thanks. Sorted now. I'd forgotten to turn the heater switch in the electric box on.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 15-Feb-14 17:02:30

That website looks really useful Furball, thanks. Will bookmark it for future crisis.

millimat Sat 15-Feb-14 19:11:38

Very exciting - is it new new?

VivaLeBeaver Sat 15-Feb-14 20:14:28

Nope. 14 years old. Sounds ancient doesn't it? It seems in good condition. I went over it with a damp meter before buying it but have noticed tonight the end washroom feels draughty and cool and there's condensation on the mirror so I'm hoping that's not a concern.

Seeing as I daren't take dd out of school in term time now and cottages are so expensive I thought this would be good. We used to camp but I'm too old for tents now.

LightastheBreeze Sat 15-Feb-14 20:42:12

Ours is about 10 years old and we always put those drying tubs of crystals in in the winter to soak up any condensation it will feel a bit draughty probably because of the air holes in the floor. I decide I was too old for camping when we bought our caravan

VivaLeBeaver Sat 15-Feb-14 20:57:55

Thanks, that's reassured me about the draught. I guess us being in the caravan breathing, cooking, etc will cause some condensation. Those crystal pots are a good tip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now