Which campsite in north england or southern scotland?

(7 Posts)

Dp and I, plus dds 1 and 2 (who will be just turned 3 and 18 months) have a week off in June for for main annual camp. I had been considering Skye, but due to feedback re midges on my other thread I've been put off. So where else can we go?

We live in North Northumberland, and would travel a max of 5 hours. We need to bring ddog with us, so will be looking for somewhere where we can get out and about with a dog in tow.

We have often been to the lake district and would like to see somewhere else.

Bank house Farm in the peak district? Lovely site in the country side next to a river with with loads of great walks nearby. We live in Newcastle and got there in 3 hours.

If you want closer to home have you tried Boe Rigg in Bellingham? Similar style place with the bonus of a gorgeous licenced cafe. But might be a bit close for you!

Thanks, I'll check out Bank House Farm, thanks for the tip.

Bellingham is very close to home so not a holiday location for us, but I agree it's very lovely.

hackneyzoo Tue 11-Feb-14 21:38:17

Attheendof the day, places I've camped in the last year in teh north and really liked are:

Low Wray in Cumbria and Herding Hill in Haltwhistle, which is a bit windy but great for kids and near lots of Roman stuff! Maybe not too good if you live in North Northumberland though.

Thanks for the recommendation of Boe Rigg Yellow Dinosaur, I was looking for somewhere to go May bank holiday of have booked it now. I am Newcastle based too and the site looks lovely.

Hope you have a fab time hackneyzoo! The 2 you mention are on my wishlist of places to go as well. Have you tried Brockwell Wood in blaydon? It's very much back to basics with a tap only and no other facilities (apart from a saw for wood and a spade to dig a toilet), which isn't everyone's cup of tea admittedly but you could be in the middle of nowhere and it was fab with the kids smile

Hope you have a fab time hackneyzoo! The 2 you mention are on my wishlist of places to go as well. Have you tried Brockwell Wood in blaydon? It's very much back to basics with a tap only and no other facilities (apart from a saw for wood and a spade to dig a toilet), which isn't everyone's cup of tea admittedly but you could be in the middle of nowhere and it was fab with the kids smile

Thanks! Low Wray looks fantastic and is on our list for this summer, thanks for the recommendation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now