Can u recommend a campsite within about 30 miles of Swindon (wilts)

(13 Posts)
Taxpanicmum Sat 18-Jan-14 19:17:31

..... We are planning to go on our first camping trip this summer with friends, never camped before ( except the odd night at a festival etc) and would be really keen to hear if anyone has any recommendations.

We r looking for something whee families are welcome as there will be four kids between 3 and 7. Decent loos and showers a must and somewhere where we can have a campfire ( toasted marshmallows a must!).

If it's reasonably picturesque and/ or has stuff for the kids. to do within a reasonable distance that would be a bonus!

TIA

plum100 Sat 18-Jan-14 19:24:22

Theres cotswold hobourne that has loads to do for kids - not sure about fires though!

Letchlade campsite -nothing to do on site though.

Believe there is a site in calne - the name blacklands comes to mind?

And a really good one near wantage way i cant think what its called - lots of watersports! It will come to me .

Taxpanicmum Sat 18-Jan-14 19:39:25

Oooh thanks plum, I'll have a google and check those suggestions out! X

plum100 Sat 18-Jan-14 20:01:23

Oooh ive got it - hardwick park oxfordshire i know two people who go each year and say its great xxx

melrose Sat 18-Jan-14 22:29:06

Wellington county park, just down m4 on outskirts of reading, so poss further than 30 miles, but quick to get to (my parents live in swindon) campsite is lovely and you get free entry into the country park, even after it has shut, with adventure playground, farm park and lots more.

Also not been but Lincoln farm park at stanmore on a420 between Farmington and Oxford meant to be fab

melrose Sat 18-Jan-14 22:29:32

Sorry Faringdon!

leddeeburdee Tue 21-Jan-14 22:02:00

Just spotted this. Britchcombe Farm in Uffington is fantastic. Campfires allowed, at the foot of white horse hill so very picturesque. Google maps reckons about 12 miles from Swindon. We tend to take kites and go for a walk/ kite fly on white horse hill and there is a nice pub in the village.

TiggyOBE Wed 22-Jan-14 22:28:10

There is one in Savernack (sp?) forest near Marlborough. Nice forest and town but no idea what the site is like.

hz Fri 24-Jan-14 10:47:07

Britchcombe def a good option in that area. Facilities a bit basic but location and campfires make up for it. Review with lots of pics here. here

DameDeepRedBetty Fri 24-Jan-14 10:50:19

The one in Savernake Forest, Marlborough, is run by the Camping And Caravanning Club (Forest Holidays). It's a lovely setting, but there aren't any loos/washblocks, so it's for caravans or very well equipped tent campers. And I don't think fires are allowed.

SplatPancake Sun 23-Feb-14 09:59:42

Stowford Manor near Trowbridge -highly recommended by friends, were giving it a whirl if it EVER stops raining ...

PicaK Sun 23-Feb-14 17:39:12

Another vote for Hardwick Park. It's really chilled and you canswim in the lake on sunny days. Plus the showers were good.

crazymum53 Mon 24-Feb-14 13:11:12

Brokerswood Country Park in Wilts has a campsite and great facilities for children. see www.brokerswood.net

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now