What are your obscure but essential camping musts?

(6 Posts)
TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Wed 08-Jan-14 19:36:03

I feel like some outsider inspiration. This is based on the fact that friends we went camping with last year had telescopic forks which were perfect for toasting marshmallows on. I didn't know I needed one but it's now a must have for this year's camping trips! (The camping toaster another friend brought is not on the list).

Blu Thu 09-Jan-14 08:01:24

A couple of butchers hooks.

For using on the top of doors when shower cubicles do not have enough hooks. Also handy to hang things from if you string a rope between trees,

'Grandpa's toasting fork' that turns any stick into a toasting fork.

SweepTheHalls Thu 09-Jan-14 08:02:29

Cricket stumps to keep Wellies on

hillbilly Thu 09-Jan-14 10:59:03

Pegs and butchers hooks come to mind. Vaseline and cotton wool for fire starting.

twattock Thu 09-Jan-14 17:17:56

Vaseline and cotton wool? how does that work? (mine would be a bit of wood and string to hang a lantern off a bell tent pole, and box that is fitted out as a camp kitchen)

hillbilly Thu 09-Jan-14 20:24:22

I learnt it at a forest school session that the kids went to at Forgewood last year. Take a cotton wool ball and unravel it, then stick a wodge of vaseline in the middle and roll it up again. Instant firelighter! Easy to light with a flint and it will burn for 5/6 mins while you put twigs on it and build the fire. For Father's day last year we made DH a special tin with all the firelighting bits in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now