A real campfire

(20 Posts)
TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Tue 07-Jan-14 20:58:01

I am already itching to go camping this year even though it is still so cold outside.

Last year we went to a campsite near the white horse in Oxfordshire where we had a real campfire (they sold us the wood). I'd like to go somewhere similar this year where we can have a real campfire but somewhere that has nicer facilities (this place was quite basic!) Does anyone have any recommendations? Preferably south coast.

RiojaHaze Tue 07-Jan-14 21:00:17

Is Swanage doable? We went to a campsite called Helston last year.
Allowed campfires, basic where we were but had a clubhouse, shop etc at the far end of the camp about a 10 minute walk away.
Right by the steam railway too into Corfe and Swanage.

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Tue 07-Jan-14 21:01:18

Swanage is very doable. I love Dorset. Sounds great!

jojane Tue 07-Jan-14 21:04:44

We have a firepit which legs that fold down, used that for a fire and it doesn't burn the ground so more campsites will allow them (ones that allow bbqs)

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Tue 07-Jan-14 21:08:28

jojane sounds great, do you have a link?

we use an old waahing machine drum as a fire pit, its great

Milliways Tue 07-Jan-14 22:44:34

How about Longthorns Farm? Next to Monkey World in Dorset.

Blu Wed 08-Jan-14 01:02:37

CampsiteUK has a campfire filter.

hillbilly Wed 08-Jan-14 11:39:30

We went to www.townfarmcamping.co.uk last May and it was great. Lovely owner, campfires allowed, clean facilities and the most beautiful scenery. Quite exposed though not so great if windy. Having said that, I would highly recommend it. Someone on here accused me of being the owner last year when I gave it such a glowing report hmm

hillbilly Wed 08-Jan-14 11:40:26

Sorry just realised you said South coast. Town farm is in Bucks.

jojane Wed 08-Jan-14 19:28:22

It was from b&m bargains, think it was £25. Have seen similar in Argos I think.

jojane Wed 08-Jan-14 19:29:17

Years ago we camped near Brighton at something like blackberry farm, each pitch was surrounded by blackberry bushes and had log stools and campfires.

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Wed 08-Jan-14 19:39:16

Is it this place jojane? It sounds brilliant.

jojane Wed 08-Jan-14 19:52:07

Yes looks like it, was years ago mind and didn't have the helicopter or bus etc, might have to go back as kids would love sleeping in something like that!

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Wed 08-Jan-14 20:00:17

Just wondering if they allow group bookings...

Onykahonie Wed 08-Jan-14 20:03:26

Not south coast, but we loved Foxholes in Shropshire. Campfires, good facilities, loads of space, plus a village within walking distance.

hillbilly Wed 08-Jan-14 22:38:51

I second Foxholes. We went a few years ago and had a great time. Bloody long drive from London though for just a weekend!

hz Wed 08-Jan-14 22:49:56

Hiya. Have to pop a link in to my blog 'YellowFields Camping' at this point. All about campsites that allow campfires with map and full reviews with lots of pictures of many. How about 'The Secret Campsite', lush.

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Tue 14-Jan-14 10:20:58

I have been reading your blog hz and really enjoying it.

hz Tue 14-Jan-14 18:40:43

Thanks The future! Good to know people enjoy sharing my camping obsession. Especially when it comes to campfire campsites. Feel free to share and follow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now