cheap campsites in the South East

(11 Posts)
Danann Tue 07-Jan-14 00:28:35

Can anyone recommend a cheap campsite in the South East of England for me and 2 DC (5 and 9)?

Dad's a scout leader so I have been taken on survival camps and hiking holidays since I was tiny and I like the very basic campsites so it doesn't need to be anything fancy or have any facilities other than a loo and a tap but it has to allow children and ideally campfires.

hillbilly Tue 07-Jan-14 12:32:25

It depends what you mean by cheap. We loved this place last year and it was very quiet with great woods. Tbh there are so many sites in the SE that you should look on ukcampsite.co.uk

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Tue 07-Jan-14 21:00:18

We stayed at Britchcombe Farm last year. A nice site beneath the white horse and allows campfires (they sell you the wood). It's quite a basic site though - portaloos and I didn't even try the showers. They do sell cream teas on site though smile

Danann Tue 07-Jan-14 22:05:17

Thank you, both those campsites look great.

By cheap I mean as cheap as possible, money is pretty tight so the less I spend on campsite fees the better.

Milliways Tue 07-Jan-14 22:38:44

Another vote for Britchcombe farm here, one of our favourites smile

We also like White Mark Farm - no campfires there but decent facilities and right in the Ridgeway. The red kites are mad and land in the field though!

St Peters Farm is a small site in Didcot, not stayed there yet but popped in for a look once when driving past - basic but decent enough.

Blu Tue 07-Jan-14 22:48:32

You can search UK Campsite using the Campfires allowed search category.
Merrylands close to the S Downs is the cheapest site I have ever stayed at, I think , has woods, allows fires, and decent facilities, too. (Compost toilets, hot showers though in a wooden but rather than shower block ).

Danann Thu 09-Jan-14 04:19:07

Milliways, White Mark Farm looks great but DSs big thing is campfires so will have to discuss it with him.

Blu, That's exactly the sort of place I'm looking for and is close enough to me for a weekend trip, thanks.

Blu Thu 09-Jan-14 07:05:49

A campfire is a 'must have' for us, too.
And we cook on it,
Forgewood S of Tunbridge Wells has acres a d acres of woods and allows fires, not as cheap as Merrylands.
Welsummer near Leeds Castle in Kent is a smaller version and v sweet.

Look on Campsite Uk, it is 'the most sophisticated search me ha ism, but find the campfire filter and then scroll through through to find the southern counties. It's confusing because Europe crops up in the middle of the list, just keep scrolling down for Sussex. More and more woodland sites with fires are springing up especially in Sussex for some reason.

Have fun!

Blu Thu 09-Jan-14 07:56:39

'Not the most sophisticated search mechanism'

Milliways Thu 09-Jan-14 16:39:13

We just make a fire in our BBQ bowl and sit around that. As it's off the ground they are fine (others take proper fire pits). gives you a much wider choice, but I agree a real huge fire is very special.

hillbilly Thu 09-Jan-14 18:58:00

Good point about raised fires Milliways - some of the sites which only allow raised fires are not included in the filtered list on ukcampsite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now