What tent to buy?

(12 Posts)
TheArticFunky Thu 02-Jan-14 17:12:55

I need some help deciding what tent to buy. We are a family of 4 and are looking for something that will ideally last us for the next 15 years! We plan on using it for approx 3 times a year and it will used for our main holidays in the UK and Europe.

Our budget is up to £300 and looking for something fairly spacious.

Recommendations gratefully received [ smile]

myfavouritethings Fri 03-Jan-14 23:47:34

Bump

BendyBusBuggy Sat 04-Jan-14 00:05:33

Have you had a look at go outdoors?

I think outwell is a good brand. We have a hi gear (their own brand I think ) tent which we're very happy with, but then we don't go very often.

www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping/tents

IpsyUpsyDaisyDo Sun 05-Jan-14 08:24:04

Vango have a big range of good-value tents. There will be some deals on end-of-line tents if you don't mind having last year's model smile

We've got a big Outwell Hartford XL, it is massive so very spacious inside but you have to check pitch size when you are booking and sometimes pay extra for a large pitch. It also takes up most of the car boot (too big/heavy for a roof box) and takes quite a while to put up and down, too mych effort for a weekend but good for longer holidays. I would get yourself down to Go Outdoors, or a big independent camping place like Camping World which have sites in Sussex/Surrey and have a look, ask for advice. Think about sleeping arrangements now and in 15 years, do you want DCs next to you or on the opposite side of the tent for example. Our tent is one of the round ones with pods on the sides, but with hindsight I probably wouldn't have gone for that design, the middle area is huge but storage is tricky as the walls are curved, also the porch is relatively small, we keep a lot of stuff in the porch (cooking and outdoor, muddy stuff), plus it's nice to be able to sit in the porch if it's raining.

MissWimpyDimple Sun 05-Jan-14 08:49:36

I have a gelert horizon 8. It's easy to pitch and very spacious. You can also get a porch or canopy which is fab for bad weather cooking. I wanted a layout with the bedrooms at either end, but a lot of tents now seem to favour the bedrooms at the back. It's personal preference!

The other thing that made me choose mine is that it isn't too heavy when packed. It's about 20kg so lift able.

There are a lot of lovely tents out there but mostly over £300 unfortunately.

Go outdoors do a similar one to mine but 6 man and I've heard very good things about it.

TheArticFunky Sun 05-Jan-14 13:49:22

Great thanks for the tips everyone - I will check these out.

DameDeepRedBetty Sun 05-Jan-14 13:55:56

Hi Gear are I think Go Outdoors own brand. I wouldn't expect one of theirs to last the time you're talking. Outwell and Vango are definitely better quality.

Think about packing up, so many tents esp at cheaper end really scrimp on the bag. I have saved the bag from the old big tent (it managed five seasons) and have about half the current big tent in that and the other half in it's proper bag. I also saved the pegs and guyropes for emergency use, and very handy they've been too.

yy to a porch, it's saved dinner too many times to count!

cupoftchai Sun 05-Jan-14 14:01:08

Big porch. More person capacity than people actually using ie a 6person not 4. Sorry can't help with actual models! Will u always be camping from car or might u ever want to walk then pitch?

We really like our Vango Maritsa 500. It has a living area and porch (good for taking stuff off if wet) and 2-3 bedrooms at the back (we tend to put the kids in one, Dh & I in the other and zip up the middle for a storage area).

That said I think we'd have been tempted by this if it had been around when we bought ours Vango Pelena 600

justforachange Thu 09-Jan-14 10:23:14

that Vango Pelena is really similar to our Outwell Cleveland (and much cheaper grrr). We use the front part for kitchen/living area (can fit table/chairs in if its wet), the middle bit for clothes/dressing and the back for sleeping (obv!!). There are 4 of us and we had tonnes of room. Vango have a great name, it would (should!!) last you for a long time

hillbilly Thu 09-Jan-14 10:53:01

We have the Outwell Oakland XL although it is a 2010 model which is slightly different (does not have the overhang on the side door, however we have a side extension). It's 5 berth in a 2/3 configuration which can be separate or opened up. Large other area for storage or could fit table and chairs. Very sturdy, can put it up in 20 mins (2 people) and does not have a huge footprint.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now