DD going on winter camp - please recommend warm, light sleeping bag

(6 Posts)
MaggieW Tue 31-Dec-13 18:55:15

DD is away on Guide camp in a couple of weeks. Our sleeping bags won't be warm enough for her so I need to get another warm one. I don't want to spend a huge amount as we won't use it much so please may I have your recommendations. TIA.

sugarbunza Tue 31-Dec-13 21:09:42

Eurohike bags are great, eBay it if I were you x

fridayfreedom Tue 31-Dec-13 21:14:20

Layers are needed too. Get thermals to wear in bed or leggings and t shirt under pjs. Plus socks, hat etc.
My dc use a fleecy blanket sewn up to make a liner for their sleeping bag.

DwellsUndertheSink Tue 31-Dec-13 21:19:32

sleeping bag liner will add a season to a standard sleeping bag.
I made mine - thick fleece sewn into a tube.

Thick thermal socks and warm hat too. And I send my kids with a hot water bottle for frost camps!

Unplastered Tue 31-Dec-13 21:27:58

Guide leader of 20 years here.
I would recommend layers. When winter camping with Guides (most recently in -5 degrees) I use a down filled Eurohike mummy sleeping bag inside a normal Vango synthetic one (both have hoods) with a sleeping bag liner, thermals under PJ's (guides prefer onesies these days!) with extra socks and a woolly hat, also a thermorest and a blanket to lie on. Winter camp is great, hope she enjoys it!

MaggieW Wed 01-Jan-14 16:32:02

Thanks all - very helpful. Fleece liners great idea and her sports skins can be her under-pj layer Won't forget hat and socks. Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now