Anyone wanna talk Icey-Teks?

(28 Posts)
4yoniD Thu 14-Nov-13 21:03:21

Hey, it isn't really camping weather but I'm looking forward to next summer and I am avoiding housework

I camped for the first time properly last summer and will be going for longer this summer. Just bought a double sleeping bag off amazon (have been price watching for a while, it just got cheaper - yey!) so that leaves me needing a sink (poss folding) and a keep cool. I'd really like an icey-tek, 25L, but they are soooo pricey. Yeti's are even more. Is there anything else good but cheaper? Do they have a January sale? Or should I just instruct husband to get me one for Christmas so he has to pay instead of me

Moosy Mon 27-Jan-14 18:39:02

I got yellow. DD3 is very excited about going to Camp Bestibal with our new yellow box smile

muchostinky Wed 22-Jan-14 13:49:39

I have orange - it is lovely!

Blu Tue 21-Jan-14 23:46:58

grin
What colour?

Moosy Tue 21-Jan-14 23:41:32

Glad you said that, I ordered a 40L today smile

Blu Tue 21-Jan-14 21:16:04

I think for a family of 5, and for 5 days, I would get 40l, if I had space in the car. Just for the flexibility - cold milk, etc.

Moosy Mon 20-Jan-14 20:01:51

I'm in the process of trying to decide which size to buy. We are a family of 5 with an estate car, we rarely camp for more than about 5 days. I'm looking at the 25L and the 40L and I see the photos on their site that shows how much food fits in but I can't relate that to the things that we'd take and thought I'd ask the experienced ones!

I'm sure a fridge is better if you have ehu. However the type of campsite I prefer doesn't. Plus for me there is something very satisfying about being able to manage to cook lovely delicious food and drink cold drinks without electricity (see also Cobb thread)

I'm sure a fridge is better if you have ehu. However the type of campsite I prefer doesn't. Plus for me there is something very satisfying about being able to manage to cook lovely delicious food and drink cold drinks without electricity (see also Cobb thread)

Theas actual cold drinks all week with an iceytek too!

I have the 40l. As blu says it is a huge monster of a thing but the smaller size wouldn't have been big enough for us. Prechilling plus limited openings essential to maximize performance but you can always top up the chill with a bag of frozen ice if needs be

Theas18 Sun 05-Jan-14 19:31:04

Dunno about these things, but have you thought about a proper camping fridge? We have one that runs on mains /battery and even gas . It's brilliant! Actual cold drinks smile all week

That's really helpful. Freezing a wine bag is genius genius!

Thank you, that

Pootlingalong Sun 05-Jan-14 17:01:58

Very excited to see some camping threads getting going! We have the 25l and you can lie a bottle of wine on its side but it won't fit standing up. You can sort of prop a wine bottle at an angle or take the more interesting option of freezing a bag of wine (dual purpose)

SeaShellsMyDogTrulySmells Sun 05-Jan-14 16:01:59

I think the 25L will take a wine bottle, but I've got a 40L - they are great, just make sure you prechill and plan how you pack it, to minimise rummaging time!

Sorry to hijack. Can anyone tell me if a wine bottle will fit in the 25l box?

Blu Mon 16-Dec-13 23:06:16

Though plenty of MNers have 40l. I can't fit anything bigger in the car, and 25 seems fine for us. Small family.

AskAQuestion Mon 16-Dec-13 16:48:41

Thank you. smile

Blu Mon 16-Dec-13 14:59:13

25l

AskAQuestion Sun 15-Dec-13 22:05:30

What size do you all have?

LondonSuperTrooper Thu 12-Dec-13 09:12:38

Thanks 4yoniD for the explanation smile

Blu Wed 11-Dec-13 23:16:27

Free postage til Christmas !

4yoniD Wed 11-Dec-13 20:56:52

Nah, it is a keep cool box. No electric, just lots of insulation.

LondonSuperTrooper Wed 11-Dec-13 14:07:52

Is an icey tek similar to a fridge?

justtoomessy Tue 10-Dec-13 22:12:15

I love mine and means that when we go camping for a long weekend everything stays cold. Well worth the money.

Blu Fri 15-Nov-13 14:55:43

Never seen them have a sale or do deals except postage-free.
But the postage is considerable.
They did a specific MN postage-free deal once.

The thing is they actually work, and keep stuff cold for long periods, as long as you don't leave the lid open unnecessarily (I don't let the kids rummage about and go in and out of it) and as long as you pre-chill it before use. I freeze old plastic bottles of water and fill the IceyTek with those for 24 hours before loading it up with food and freezer blocks.

I haven't got the Aussie gel Pack they sell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now