Ile de Re camping

(12 Posts)
Loonytoonie Wed 30-Oct-13 18:14:02

Never been there - worth a weeks camping?
Any suggestions?

m2mmlistings Wed 06-Nov-13 21:39:21

Never been to the Ile de Re so not actually answering your question...... but we went to Ile d'Oleron (which is the next island down from Ile de Re) this summer and had the best holiday ever. Apparently it is just like Ile de Re but quieter. We had fantastic weather, glorious sandy beaches to ourself and rockpools at low tide to keep us all entertained. Def going back there next year.

hillbilly Wed 13-Nov-13 19:02:39

Loonytoonie sorry to hijack but:

m2mmlistings - what site were you on and when in summer were you there? Very interested to hear about having beaches all to yourself!

m2mmlistings Wed 13-Nov-13 20:38:41

Peak time..... middle 2 weeks of August. We booked very late and were on a small site 20mins drive from the beaches but there were loads of campsites all along the coast road in pine forests which we might take a look at for next year

signet Wed 13-Nov-13 20:45:37

We went to Ile D'Oleron this year. Truly beautiful. Lots of little isolated beaches only accessible by the beach train. Also visited Ile De Re but preferred Ile D'Oleron. Plenty to keep you occupied. Highly recommend it.

bsc Wed 13-Nov-13 20:49:33

May I ask how you travelled there? Car, ferry, then left car and went over on boat?

It was years ago when we went to Ile de Re but it was lovely. We didn't camp though. Lovely beaches. I do seem to remember it was 22euro to go across the bridge shock

Damnautocorrect Tue 19-Nov-13 14:14:54

Another vote for ile de o'leron. Definitely go to the vineyard

crikeybadger Tue 19-Nov-13 14:16:07

We went to Il de Re last year (but not camping, sorry). It was in July and the whole place was heaving. We ended up going back to La Rochelle as the restaurants were so chocker. Maybe go out of season if you can as it did look beautiful.

MillyONaire Tue 19-Nov-13 14:24:45

we camped in Chatelaillon (a gorgeous town & beach - but no nice campsites) just south of La Rochelle) and parked at the bridge (which links Ile de Re to mainland) and cycled all around the island. It was very beautiful and Dh would've liked to spend a longer holiday there but I live in Ireland which is about as small an island as I could bear. Fwiw I did camp on the ile d'oleron and found it really really unfriendly!! Have camped up and down the west coast of France and Oleron is the only place I can say that I really didn't like.

peppersquint Tue 19-Nov-13 20:33:42

Certainly worth a week for camping - we love the Ile de Re (not keen on ile d'oleron though) Plenty to see and do and great beaches, markets, restaurants and history. I would try and go early June through to mid July or early September if you can.

lovepizza Mon 25-Nov-13 11:48:22

Try 'Les Varennes' on Ile de Re - small, near a beach, great pool

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now