has anybody been camping in switzerland?

(9 Posts)
pixiepotter Thu 26-Sep-13 12:49:34

WEare thinking of going next summer with DC 18,15,12, and 8.
Not sure whether to go for a tent/lodge/static caravan or take our own tent.We would be going with North sea ferries most likely and I am not sure whether the costs and squash involved taking our own tent (we would have to take trailer) outweighs the extra cost of using their accommodation.
Any insight most welcome!

crazymum53 Fri 27-Sep-13 16:43:20

Have stayed in France very close to the Swiss border (near to

Geneva). a big difference in prices for food etc. which was

cheaper on the French side. So much so that the local supermarket

had lots of Swiss people looking for "bargains".
We used a tent, but no need for trailer since we are a smaller

family. There is quite a steep gradient on the roads and auto-

route into Switzerland on the French side, which would make towing

a trailer quite hard so it may be less strain on your car to book

accommodation.

MissWimpyDimple Fri 27-Sep-13 18:11:36

There are lovely sites in Switzerland. I loved Lauterbrunnen

millimat Sat 28-Sep-13 17:40:24

I love lauterbrunnen too.

meditrina Sat 28-Sep-13 17:54:59

I've never camped there, but agree Lauterbrunnen is lovely.

pixiepotter Sat 28-Sep-13 19:29:30

I have booked a bungalow at 'Camping Jungfrau' now.Iplan to take lots of tins and packets with us to minimise food costs.I have been looking at the lovely funicular railway that goes up to Jungfrauyoch, but I think that might be prohibitively pricey for 6 of us!!

millimat Sat 28-Sep-13 21:41:54

I stayed at camping jungfrau when I was 10 and have fab memories. Going up the jungfraujoch was superb - at the top there were ice caves. We even did a husky dog ride!

WhereDoesPerryKeepHisHat Sun 06-Oct-13 18:37:46

We camped on the edge of lake Geneva which was great as you get a free travel ticket for all the busses/trams/water ferries to get into and around the city. Loved it but everything was very very expensive compared to france.

heather1 Sun 06-Oct-13 18:48:09

We camped here http://www.eigernordwand.ch/?userlang=en in the Summer. It is very near the Jungfrau joch railway and you also get a free bus ticket for local buses for the duration of the stay. It was a nice campsite. Clean, with good facilities.
Cheaper than going up the Jungfrau joch ( which is interesting but lots of watch shops at the top, also advisable to book in advance and the weather isn't guaranteed) is to go to Engleberg and go up Titlis www.titlis.ch there is also a fab playground nearby that has a pond with an island in the middle and child side rafts with sticks to push themselves along. Mine loved it. I'm not sure about campsites near there though.
Have you hear of this? http://www.schlaf-im-stroh.ch/en/ it is staying at farms and sleeping in haylofts. Often near tourist attractions or in beautiful locations. Breakfast included and children can often help out around the farm. More expensive than camping but a fun thing to do.
Also everywhere is Switzerland there are places to BBQ. Usually free with wood, sometimes a small charge for the wood e.g. 10chf. So it's much cheaper than eating out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now