Cornwall (North) camping recommendations please

(16 Posts)
IpsyUpsyDaisyDo Sat 05-Oct-13 20:10:25

We went to Budemeadows for 2 weeks this year - great site near Widemouth Bay, not far from Bude, and there's a (heated) outdoor swimming pool! Would recommend smile

serin Fri 04-Oct-13 17:43:41

St Mabyn is fabulous. Low key but still lots going on. Take bikes as Camel trail is close by!

shelley72 Tue 24-Sep-13 14:32:38

Sorry to have only just come back to this, since my OP our camping party has expanded to include GPS and so i have been researching all of your suggestionssmile.

We have stayed at tristram before (in a vw) but one of our party doesn't want to pitch a tent on the cliff side! It's that kind of area we want to be around though, so that was spot on.

Mother iveys bay also looks good if not as cheap but we ruled this out as I read somewhere that they have a silence rule before 7am, and our dcs wouldn't be able to manage that.

Just waiting for the padstow brochure to come through, looks promising from the website and seems to tick the boxes of the majority of our party. Also going to look at trewan hall again too.

now I just need to see if I can manage a whole week campingshock. I'm not a natural camper so anything I can do to make life more comfy?

tomtommum Mon 16-Sep-13 16:47:22

Southwinds campsite just above Polzeath. There is also the Tristram site which is perched above the beach, but I have been going to Southwinds since I was a child (many moons ago!) and now go with my son, who absolutely loves it.

Not much organised at the site, but he just heads off to play footie/cricket/rounders with anyone he can find !

and there is so much else to do that we really spend all day out and about, and only come back about 5pm.

facilities are clean and well organised.

huddyblell Sat 14-Sep-13 00:35:03

Def agree that Trewan Hall is a fab site, perfect for families. On beautiful grounds of a listed building, good facilities, a few organised things going on, but all very low key and not clubhouse style at all

OonaghBhuna Fri 13-Sep-13 17:55:55

We loved Trewan Hall too, its a great campsite.

FriedSprout Wed 11-Sep-13 00:21:45

Sorry, link fail

Trewan Hall

FriedSprout Wed 11-Sep-13 00:20:51

Loved, loved, loved Trewan Hall

[[http://www.trewan-hall.co.uk/ Trewan Hall]

Friendly, helpful owners, near Padstow. Fantastc

CMOTDibbler Tue 10-Sep-13 10:46:01

We went to St Mabyn nr Wadebridge the other week, and it was great. V clean toilets and showers (dh reports the new block was even nicer), both big grass play areas and playground, pool and indoor games room.

hz Tue 10-Sep-13 10:33:02

South Penquite is lovely, however I would be wary if spending my whole holiday there as Bodmin acts like a sponge and attracts any rain straight to it! In other words it rains there more frequently than other places. The toilet/shower blocks are very nice though.

Can I suggest Exmoor instead of North Cornwall. There are some fabulous spots Caffyns Farm is a good campsite to try, close to the very lovely beaches of Lee Cove and Rocky Cove. Or Westermill Farm for a lovely stream onsite. Both allow campfires. I love it every time we go and it tends to be quieter than Cornwall.

dreamingofsun Sun 08-Sep-13 15:49:25

sp also allows open fires, which my kids really enjoyed...though they are older than yours. because it was so wet they let my boys play football in one of the big barns which was nice of them

issyocean Sun 08-Sep-13 12:40:20

SP is fab it also has a room full of games/toys/books that are a godsend in wet weather.

dreamingofsun Sun 08-Sep-13 09:36:57

i've been to south p. its very rural. showers good. lots of space (though weather was very bad when we were there, so maybe more tents normally). small play area with football goals - although people unfortunatley camped on these so we couldn't use them.

negatives - narrow bridge on approach, and also a very narrow part of the road - i have a big car that i hate reversing so this maybe more of an issue for me than you.

stubbornstains Sat 07-Sep-13 15:24:28

I have heard that South Penquite Farm on Bodmin Moor is really nice, but haven't actually been.

Ineedmorepatience Sat 07-Sep-13 15:23:01

It really depends on what you are looking for, one persons idea of a lovely site is anothers idea of hell.

I use uk campsites search you can choose what you want eg, sites with clubhouses,pools, campfires, disabled access, the list is very long smile

We have stayed at Padstow touring park, Mother Iveys bay and another small farm site in that area that I cant remember the name of. There are literally hundreds of sites all over cornwall. Happy hunting.

As far as camping with kids goes, buy a decent set of waterproofs for everyone so you can still go out on rainy days and buya tent big enough for the kids to play in and for everyone to have a bit of space.

Good luck smile

shelley72 Sat 07-Sep-13 14:14:41

We're still relatively new to camping but have just bought a bigger tent in the sale and hope to camp for a whole week next year (only managed a couple of nights here and there before).

We would like to go to Cornwall in the school summer hols preferably North Cornwall. We would need a campsite with clean loo and showers, think that's our only wish - unless there's anything else we should consider? Have three children under 6 so maybe a safe play area too?

Has anyone camped in Cornwall and have any recommended sites that we could look at? Also any tips for camping with children in general?

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now