Self inflating Mat for a large person

(12 Posts)
FullOfChoc Mon 02-Sep-13 20:29:26

I've just returned from 4 night camping with a new thermarest trail lite 3.8.

It wasn't great. I am quite large, and could feel the ground on my hips

So I've had a look and found:

www.southwestmountainsports.com/Thermarest_Luxury_Map_Sleep_Mat_Large__102977-24605.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_term=Luxury+Map+Sleep+Mat+(Large)

There is also an outwell 10 cm mat, but I can't find this. Any idea where I might?

Anyone got an insights/experience on this? It's a lot of money and I can't find anywhere I could try one.

Thanks in advance.

LondonSuperTrooper Mon 02-Sep-13 20:35:49

How about an airbed? I've got an Outwell one and its absolutely super!

LondonSuperTrooper Mon 02-Sep-13 20:36:24

And I'm quite big as well.

FullOfChoc Mon 02-Sep-13 21:11:55

Should of said, the SIMs replaced our old airbeds.

I may go back to an airbed, but the other 3 family members love the sims, so it would mean carrying the pump just for me. I'll take a look at the outwell airbed.

A good nights sleep would be worth it!

Janek Mon 02-Sep-13 21:16:26
ZolaBuddleia Mon 02-Sep-13 21:17:50

I'm a whopper and I slept like a big fat baby on my 10cm SIM.

FullOfChoc Tue 03-Sep-13 21:00:07

Zola,which one have you got?

flashheartscanoe Tue 03-Sep-13 22:27:58

I bought this the exped comfort 10cm long/wide for myself its brilliant, made of lovely soft fabric and no ground on hips.
I bought the gelert 10cm for my son as it was half the price- the package is twice the size and it much more plasticky but very comfy.
Both came from amazon.
I find both to be a bit narrow at 65cm. If I could do it again I would go for the thermorest mondoking xxl. Once you are up at 10cm depth its the width that really counts.
All the sims are much better if not fully inflated. I wouldnt go back to an airbed- too many nights on the ground!

SizzleSazz Tue 03-Sep-13 22:32:33

We have the Thermarest XL
our campsite this year was on concrete and it was still amazingly comfy

SizzleSazz Tue 03-Sep-13 22:35:44

Just looked at your link which is the Large - 63cm wide compared to 76cm for XL. Same width though.

ZolaBuddleia Wed 04-Sep-13 09:50:32

Mine is this one.

specialmagiclady Sat 07-Sep-13 06:51:41

I have a 10cm double SIM and it is pretty comfy but HUGE. Takes up 3 more space than our double air bed and pump. We have a rechargeable pump that doesn't take up too much space and you can just leave it to do its business while you get on with drinking setting up the rest of your tent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now