Does anyone else struggle after coming back from camping?

(36 Posts)
Hogwash Sun 01-Sep-13 13:13:55

We've been away for nearly three weeks camping split over the last four or five weeks and are finally home, back to earth with a thump.

I'm finding living in a house again really irritating - we have so much stuff. We have been perfectly happy living out of what we could fit in the car and yet the house seems cluttered, full of things that must have cost us tens of thousands of pounds of years, and yet seem to contribute nothing much to our lives and are just one more thing to navigate around and clean.

I just want to get back in my tent - does anyone else struggling with living inside after camping?

hillbilly Sun 01-Sep-13 13:28:41

Couldn't agree more! I just want to pack up and go again.

NotInTheMood Sun 01-Sep-13 13:50:11

Me too i got back yesterday. I loved the simple life reading, walking, playing games, exploring and cooking. Back to reality of all the things now :-(

NoComet Sun 01-Sep-13 13:54:46

No houses have beds, showers and no rain between you and the loo!

JazzTheDog Sun 01-Sep-13 13:55:56

Same here, hence the massive declutter I am now doing in my house.

NoComet Sun 01-Sep-13 13:56:27

Oh and fridges, washing machines and freezers.

I can cope with tents for a few days to visit somewhere beautiful, in a flexible don't have too book months in advance way, but I'm always delighted to be home.

DearPrudence Sun 01-Sep-13 13:59:42

When we get home, I always appreciate the little luxuries we take for granted, like hot running water, electricity, internet, etc. But at the same time it also brings home the fact that we have so much stuff we don't need.

To be honest, I feel like this most of the time anyway, and I'm always doing sneaky bits of chucking out decluttering when DH is out of the house.

PharaohHound Sun 01-Sep-13 14:03:57

Ah, now I love getting home after camping, it's a lovely feeling, and a hot bath oh yes.

Hogwash Sun 01-Sep-13 14:06:43

Have sponsored boys to fill bin bags with clutter to bin and am about to start myself.

So, so not delighted to be home.

Libertine73 Sun 01-Sep-13 14:13:46

I've been back about 2 hours, and would love to go again, but am soooo glad to be home too smile

I was left wondering this time (we've been loads of times this summer)

why do people take TVs?! I know you can charge just about anything and yeah, have a 'home from home' but I don't want a home from home!! My DP said 'would you really not want all the gadgets here?' and i really really wouldn't, it would take so much away from my experience.

Mum2Fergus Sun 01-Sep-13 16:55:16

Definitely...once we're all set up I rarely miss anything from home.

TwoStepsBeyond Sun 01-Sep-13 17:39:47

I struggle more with finding homes for all the camping stuff, the muddy boots, the mountains of washing. I love camping, but the idea of coming home would be much more appealing if I didn't have all the sorting out to do, while everyone else slopes off to enjoy the TV and the laptops again!

I too enjoy the lack of gadgetry, my DCs get into the spirit too and don't usually take ipads/DSs etc, they take pens and books and little toys for inside and then play out when they can, especially when there are other kids they know there. I love getting back to basics.

Pixel Sun 01-Sep-13 19:45:15

I've spent years trying to avoid taking gadgetry as for me the whole point is to get away from it but I've been ganged up on over the years. Have now had to give in to electric hook-up because dh has poor eyesight and can't see to read (and says he won't go camping without it), and the ipad because ds is autistic and is supposed to be learning to communicate on it but plays games on it. Electric coolbox is one bonus but I'd still rather go without if I could.

Yes struggle with being at home, I can't settle indoors and feel hot and stifled. The back door (which is our living room - strange layout) is open as much as possible and the house is a tip because I can't bear to be indoors doing housework. I've so enjoyed having a proper summer for once and feel autumn is coming far too quickly!

Hogwash Sun 01-Sep-13 19:59:09

Pixel we didn't have electric hook up, but the car always had some i-pod, tablet, phone, DS or kindle charging. Definitely leaving them at home next year.

Pixel Sun 01-Sep-13 20:15:31

Well I got away with it until the dcs became teenagers so I suppose I did quite well really smile.
I have to admit I enjoyed being able to watch the olympics on a tablet last year, though I'd never admit it to dh wink.

Not camped bit I felt v much like that after a caravan holiday! I wanted to get a skip and empty my house!

Libertine73 Sun 01-Sep-13 20:16:58

It has been an amazing summer for camping, makes a change to have brilliant weather all holiday, going to be very sad to be at the school gates again on Thursday. Urgh, at the thought.

Capitola Sun 01-Sep-13 20:19:41

God, you're joking.

I kneel at my bed and kiss it, I draw the line at kissing the loo too, but I feel like it - and we only do camping 3 nights per year!

Hogwash Sun 01-Sep-13 20:53:19

You need to do more camping Capitola! For the last six years up until now we have only ever camped for a night at a time - mainly because of being busy and not wanting to risk a week's holiday from DH's work if it rained. We also always slept badly as we always managed to pitch next to the party tent, so didn't want to be that tired several nights in a row. But ... we've found the more we do the more chilled we become and we sleep much later than at home even though there is lots of noise. Isn't half the fun is traipsing to the loo in the night? or doing acrobatics over the travel potty blush

Guitargirl Sun 01-Sep-13 21:09:23

I am intrigued by this thread. We have had plenty of caravan holidays with the DCs but not yet under canvas which am sure they and DP would love. But, I spent one single night camping with a boyfriend when I was about 20 and it was so bloody awful I gave up at 6am and we drove home. I had had such romantic notions and it was such a disappointment. I hadn't appreciated how close we would be to other tents, far too intimate for my liking. And my claustrophobia meant we had to have the tent flaps open which meant that we froze. We weren't even there long enough to experience the toilets/showers.

I would love to take the family camping but am not sure I would cope with the proximity of others plus we don't have a car and from everything I read on here you need to take a car-load of 'stuff' with you?

NotWilliamBoyd Sun 01-Sep-13 21:21:40

Ooh yes, I struggle a little.....

I struggle to contain my joy at having a bed to sleep in without being surrounded by a field full of snoring,farting, shagging, wailing, shouting, singing and/or arguing strangers who mean well but have no idea how sounds carrieson a campsite.

The joy of having a kitchen without having to trek across a field. Being able to brush my teeth without hearing/smelling a stranger having a stinky dump 3 metrez away from me. Being able to have a shower without having to sweep grass etc out of it first........ ah,bliss.

I also struggle with how long it takes to sort all the wretched camping stuff and stow it all away.

Can you guess that I'm not particularly a fan of camping.....

Hogwash Sun 01-Sep-13 22:23:33

You're not selling it NotWilliamBoyd!

NotWilliamBoyd Mon 02-Sep-13 00:46:58

Selling it, I still struggle to believe that we have to pay to go camping!

It's always felt wrong that noone pays us to live in a field as a 'holiday'............. confused

I am aware that not everyone feels like this smile

Wonderstuff Mon 02-Sep-13 01:12:50

I always feel off when I get home. Doesn't feel right being indoors all the time. I miss sitting round a fire talking shit and not worrying about work.

thecatfromjapan Mon 02-Sep-13 01:16:37

Hogwash - the Zen Path is calling to you. Perhaps you should follow it?

Capitola - You have given voice to the silent speakings of my soul! Camping makes me cry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now