Does anyone have a VW California?

(12 Posts)
colleysmill Mon 16-Sep-13 14:39:44

Hi we bought a vw t25 last year and whilst we've had a few mechanical ups and downs (territory of older campers!) we've had more weekends away and days out than we initially imagined we would.

Like others its in a permanent state of readiness other than fresh food (tins stay in and just get replaced) and clothes. We also have duplicates of wash stuff, make up, contact lenses (i always forget to pack solution!) suncream etc so literally is just jump in with small bag and go.

my one tip is find a home for everything you absolutely need and once you use it put it away. I find tidiness is essential smile and for a weekend you don't need oodles of clothes or shoes (took me a few weekends to figure that out!) We've just spent 8 nights away in it and managed on 2 bags for all of us including ds and 2 pairs of shoes each.

our biggest problem is we never really want to come home!

herladyship Tue 03-Sep-13 22:35:00

We've got a VW T4 high top that we recently bought (also a bitter/sweet inheritance purchase) and so far we LOVE it!

Have packed it with basics so we just add food/clothes & go.. Agree with the using it for days out & picnics as well as overnighters smile

hz Mon 02-Sep-13 22:28:40

oh and they hold their value really well so even if it doesn't fulfill thedream you should be able to sell easily without losing much.

hz Mon 02-Sep-13 22:27:28

We don't have a Cali, would love one but have to make do with Bongo for now but question re use still applies. It is much easier to get away for a night and to extend the season. My top tip would be to book out lots of summer/spring weekends early in the year because weekends get full up quickly. If you have a van you must use it!
Keep your van packed as far as possible, add food and clothes and go! If you have young kids (we do) you have to add toys, colouring stuff whatever but you quickly get in the habit of it.
If you love camping I don't think you will regret it!

California11 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:25:33

Thank ou so much, now we have got to find one to buy!

workingtitle Mon 02-Sep-13 13:30:36

Yes, I feel that we do. There is lots of storage so all we usually have to grab are clothes and food. We mainly plan weekends but have managed impromptu nights recently (slightly harder in summer when campsites get booked up/have minimum no. night's stay, but we like back to basics sites so usually find somewhere to go). I've really enjoyed not having to spend time packing the car or drying the tent out when we get home. Other pluses - big fridge space, good diesel heater--we can go away in pretty cold weather and be fine. Be aware that you need something to mark your pitch if you head out for the day/eve. One other thing I'd recommend is a mattress topper, and if you have small children who will sleep in the roof then a net for the end.

We also use it for day trips a lot, which is lovely as we can have a hot drink and a picnic in the van--we sometimes take the weekend papers, go for a walk then chill in her for a while.

Space wise, yes I find it good enough, but ours is an older t4 and it feels to me like they're slightly more spacious. The pop top goes up at the earliest opportunity and we have two captain seats (ie, both the front seats swivel). I do try and pack light and it took a while to organise things in cupboards. We haven't got a drive away awning at the moment, but they are great if you want to extend space.

California11 Sun 01-Sep-13 21:53:11

My main question is do you use it as much as you thought you would? The dream is to be able to go away for a night at the weekend without spending hours packing the car. Am I being realistic? And also (while I'm at it), do you find that there is enough space?

workingtitle Sun 01-Sep-13 08:59:11

We have an early (91) T4 California and she is absolutely great. I personally prefer then to conversions--they were made to be campers. Neither DH nor I find the LH drive difficult. Anything you'd like to know specfically?

California11 Sat 31-Aug-13 21:56:43

I know we are extremely lucky to be able to afford it. We're using some inheritance so it's a bit bitter sweet really. We are keen campers so hope the Cali will make things a bit easier.

Mum2Fergus Sat 31-Aug-13 19:49:05

Jealous.com!

chicaguapa Fri 30-Aug-13 22:39:27

Lucky you! envy We hired one for a weekend and loved it.

California11 Fri 30-Aug-13 20:38:47

We are about to buy one and wondered if anyone else had one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now