How do you sterilise bottles when camping?

(24 Posts)
WeAreSeven Wed 21-Aug-13 15:25:59

I feel your pain! Ds3 was a terrible bottle refuser and made life so very difficult.
When I was on hols with ds4, I brought a tiny sterliser a pump and one bottle. I expressed a feed once every 48 hours and fed it to him so he wouldn't forget. But I did all the other feeds from source.

I've had the same thought too WeAreSeven but this is the age where DD1 became a bottle refuser and I ended up having to BF a lot lot longer than I wanted to. DD currently takes a bottle fairly happily so I'm a bit scared that if we have a week and a bit off she'll decide she's not keen anymore. :/

WeAreSeven Wed 21-Aug-13 12:52:44

Pink, is there any reason why you have to change to ff now? Would it not be easier to wait till after your camping trip and then you wouldn't have any of the hassle at all?

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 21-Aug-13 11:14:56

And the teats obv

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 21-Aug-13 11:14:29

We just washed them out with the rest of the washing up, then put a pan of water on and boiled the bottles for a few minutes. It seemed to do the trick and saved bringing extra stuff with us.

SisterMatic Tue 20-Aug-13 23:00:13

Milton and a Tupperware is a good idea, I always have some in incase the microwave breaks on me <voice of bitter experience>

RobotHamster Tue 20-Aug-13 22:57:49

Yy, Tupperware is fine. The only thing the cold water sterilisers have that is any different is a lockable lid to stop small hands fiddling with it...

Valpollicella Tue 20-Aug-13 22:55:50

Milton is the way to go, like ShoeWhoe says.

Get s=a massive tup box and Milton

RobotHamster Tue 20-Aug-13 22:53:52

God, electric hook up is definitely the way to go smile

ShoeWhore England Tue 20-Aug-13 22:52:05

Milton in a big Tupperware box with a lid would do the job.

JollyHappyGiant Tue 20-Aug-13 22:51:02

We have just spent £15 on a cold water steriliser from Mothercare, and you just add Milton and cold water smile It's basically a clever plastic box. With DS we just used a plastic box.

Hahaha I want hookup but DH says no!

Oh crosses posts - will go to Boots, thanks for your help!

Ledkr Spain Tue 20-Aug-13 22:49:40

Get electric hook up and use your steriliser.
Also charge phones, kettle, toaster, cool box and GHDs
So much more civilised daaaaaling. grin

GobbySadcase Tue 20-Aug-13 22:49:35

Ooh OK thanks guys - stupid question but can I get all that stuff from boots? Bit of a newbie at FF!

lottieandmia Tue 20-Aug-13 22:49:02

I never sterilised - just washed in hot, soapy water.

GobbySadcase Tue 20-Aug-13 22:48:38

You can get steriliser bags from Boots. One use each, fill with cold water and pop the tablet in and et voila, cold water sterilising!

Did this very successfully when DD was 12 weeks.

RobotHamster Tue 20-Aug-13 22:47:53

Milton tablets and a cold water steriliser. Perfect for camping because it'll keep bottles clean til you need them.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 20-Aug-13 22:47:10

Don't you just wash as normal and then soak them in sterilising solution in a bucket?

VodkaRevelation Tue 20-Aug-13 22:46:57

TEATS not tears!

TheFallenNinja Tue 20-Aug-13 22:46:30

do milron still make sterilisers?

VodkaRevelation Tue 20-Aug-13 22:46:30

You can get ready made formula in bottles and disposable tears for them. Would that help.

Or you could boil your bottles in a pan on a camping stove to sterilise them.

My LO is currently BF but I'm gradually switching over to FF and we're going camping for 8 nights in Sept when she'll be almost 5 months old. I use an electric steam steriliser at home. I'm happy to do formula cartons but how do I sterilise the bottles while we're away??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now