Argh! Low-fat camping recipes please

(10 Posts)
feetheart Thu 15-Aug-13 09:25:58

Since our last trip DH has been diagnosed with high cholesterol so we are on a low-fat drive.
Camping this w/e Fri-Tues and just realised that most of our usual camping fare isn't going to work.
Have 2 burners and Cobb but don't want to spend whole time cooking.

Need your inspiration ladies...........

WeAreSeven Thu 15-Aug-13 20:52:31

Whole Roast chicken in the Cobb? So long as you take the skin off!

Cakebaker35 Thu 15-Aug-13 20:55:12

Jacket potatoes. Pre cook them in the microwave then when you get there just wrap them in foil and chuck them on the fire to heat up and crisp up. Serve with low fat toppings and salad, tuna a good choice or cottage cheese.
Chicken - thighs best for BBQ then for low fat version take the skin off.
Think about making up a big pasta or rice salad with lots of veg before you go. Pasta salad keeps v well i a cool bag, be a bit more careful with rice.
Worth also thinking about low fat chilli - use lean mince and serve with wraps.
Have fun.

feetheart Fri 16-Aug-13 07:17:52

Thank you both - am drooling over Cobb chicken at 7am smile

Think it may be pasta (and chicken) all the way this time though may attempt to use Cobb as a smoker and do fish (or take bucket barbeque for that)

At least marshmallows in Rich Tea camping treat not affected unlike everything else!

MarianForrester Fri 16-Aug-13 12:53:24

Have just made a chilli with green lentils to take camping and its really nice- recipe on BBC website. Dd has been scoffing it as it cools.,,

Veggie sausages are also much lower fat than real ones, and tasty . Venison sausages too, actually, and venison burgers.

Making self hungry now smile

Annanon Fri 16-Aug-13 16:39:23

Chicken fajitas.

Spaghetti bolognese with tinned tuna instead of mince.

Chilli made with tinned black beans instead of mince (with tinned kidney beans as usual). Add a beef stock cube if necessary. Great with rice or jacket potatoes. Can be made in advance.

Fresh salsa (avocado, tomatoes, fresh coriander & lime juice). Avocado has good cholesterol that actively reduces bad cholesterol.

twattock Sat 17-Aug-13 20:32:29

I've been using one of those cheap Ikea griddle pans for a while now, good non stick layer so need hardly any oil to do marinated chicken etc.

rockybalboa Sat 17-Aug-13 20:59:56

Spaghetti bolognese with tuna instead of mince?!?!? Wrong wrong wrong.

WeAreSeven Sun 18-Aug-13 17:41:40

It's actually really nice!

CaffeineDeficit Mon 19-Aug-13 13:33:15

My DH has got the same problem. Bolognese made with quorn instead of beef mince is one of our staples - bulk it out with plenty of carrots, celery and onion. I also often freeze a batch of this lentil pasta sauce to take camping - again doubling all the veg quantities - it goes down very well with both DH and DS (3yo sworn enemy of vegetables)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now