Give me your hints for eweleze farm

(38 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 11-Aug-13 13:14:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheSecondComing Fri 30-Aug-13 00:31:52

dinnermoneyready Wed 28-Aug-13 19:00:40

Mummypig - there are lovely sea views at Shortlake and about a 10 min walk ro the beach. There is a small shop that I guess sells similar stuff to eweleaze and a food bit selling burgers, breakfast rolls etc. there are hay bales too. Hot water was a bit hit and miss though...

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 28-Aug-13 11:26:32

To be honest, if I could, I would camp at the very top of the hill by the track leading to the site as it is the view when you come into the site and can see the whole bay ahead of you, which always takes my breath away. We didn't arrive onsite until 11pm this year and it was beautiful with all the lights over the black sea.

But the cows get to enjoy that instead grin

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 28-Aug-13 11:23:47

Beach Field does always look a fair bit more crowded than Point Field - I expect because the sea views are fantastic which they aren't from all of Point Field.

Where you were lisa, has always struck me as being the best bit of Beach Field, being relatively flat and not right by the track where the cars drive up and down (which I would hate). However, I guess if you get bad neighbours, it doesn't matter where you are. sad

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 28-Aug-13 11:17:44

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 28-Aug-13 10:44:22

dinnermoney - does it have sea views at Shortlake? I was wondering that as I know they don't at Northdown (their other site I think).

Also, although they don't have shops etc at Shortlake, do they have the hay bales for the children? Ours loved all that but it might be nice to try a different site next year maybe.

dinnermoneyready Wed 28-Aug-13 10:09:52

We stayed at Shortlake Farm which is run by the same people who run Eweleaze I think. We really liked it - it was much quieter and flatter than eweleaze and mostly individual families rather than massive loud groups. I think anywhere you camp you have to get lucky with your neighbours!

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 28-Aug-13 10:00:41

Not a bad idea WeAreSeven, although at Eweleaze that would be most of the fields I think. I would be happy with that so long as it included Point Field, as that is ours!

I also think your DH is right. The site is just too big for people to get to know more than their immediate neighbours and they become a bit self-absorbed as a result.

Definitely agree about Chinese lanterns zoob. Hopefully, by next year they will have been banned on most sites, including Eweleaze, if not become illegal.

Must admit, the compost loos never ran out of loo roll once while we were there. I even stopped taking some with me just in case by the end. I have never done that on an English camp site before.

thezoobmeister Wed 28-Aug-13 01:22:11

Take your own bog roll, and fgs stay far away from the Chinese lanterns. They are terrifying fire hazards.

WeAreSeven Wed 28-Aug-13 01:03:43

I think large groups really should have a separate area or field of their own. When bunch of friends get together, there is bound to be a bit of a party atmosphere and people forget tbe time.

TheFowlAndThePussycat Tue 27-Aug-13 23:06:43

We often camp in big groups of 4-6 families MummyPig, so I don't have anything against groups at all. I got the impression that the real problem was a small number of people who don't often go camping (hence burning green wood, letting off Chinese lanterns inappropriately) who weren't monitoring their children so the kids were thumping each other, biting, pushing people off haystacks, screaming well after dark etc etc.

DH thinks that the site is just so big that people feel really anonymous and so just don't take other people into consideration in the way that they do on other sites. I think he might be on to something.

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 27-Aug-13 15:18:54

Mind you, as we tend to camp in fairly large groups of four or more families, we are probably a part of the problem. I do like to think we are not excessively noisy or inconsiderate though, but you don't always know how you appear to others.

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 27-Aug-13 15:13:52

Not been to Abbotstone but we have enjoyed a few brilliant trips to Forgewood in the last year or two. That site is becoming a bit of a victim of its own success ime though, which is what I think has happened to Eweleaze.

We are off to Chafford Park this weekend, not far from Forgewood. Unless things have changed since early July, that is a lovely and fairly quiet site with plenty of room to camp, although, like a lot of South Eastern sites, not exactly a cheap weekend.

Might have to put Abbotstone on my list for next year... Possibly, Les Valades too as it seems to be an MN fave.

hillbilly Tue 27-Aug-13 14:41:36

We were at Les Valades in the Dordogne, Mummypig, and it was very lovely. TBH there are so many super campsites here in the UK (south for us) that I doubt I'll run out of familiar sites that I love and new sites to discover. The latest fave of mine is Abbotstone Wood near Winchester which is the sister site to Forgewood.

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 27-Aug-13 13:39:16

Such a shame hillbilly because, honestly, it can be a wonderful experience - it is just the luck of the draw as to where you are pitched I think.

We saw hardly an Chinese lanterns when we were there, oddly. I hate them so that was a relief.

Where in France were you? It sounds lovely.

hillbilly Tue 27-Aug-13 13:15:53

I thought about going a couple of years ago but decided against it because a. dh loathes compost loos and b. I have a big issue with chinese lanterns which seem to be quite popular there. Hence we never went and judging by what people are saying about it being mainly large groups who go, we never will. Similarly, and I can't believe I'm saying this, we experienced the 'huge group' scenario at Forgewood this year which was disappointing as we felt a little hemmed in.

It may well be that having just returned from a lovely spacious site in France, I've got my rose tinted glasses on!

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 27-Aug-13 11:22:06

Oh right, I see - the non-car fields would be out of the question in that case, of course. I am not very good with the field names - we always camp in Point Field (which doesn't have quite such good views as Beach Field but has some flatter places to camp) and the next one up was Top Field which does allow cars I think? While we were there we had incredible winds so if Corner Field is windy anyway, it was probably as well you weren't there on Saturday 16th (you weren't were you?) There were quite a lot of destroyed tents and shelters that day!

I am very impressed with some of the angles people pitch on (sounds like you were one of them) - I imagine people lashing themselves with ropes to the top ends of their tents to sleep. I can't see how you would do it otherwise (apart from sleeping in a big pile at the bottom end like you did).

DD loved the roaming farm animals - I was not quite so keen...

hazeyjane Tue 27-Aug-13 10:52:18

Yes we had the pig too!!

We have to park in a car field, because ds's 'safe space' is the car ( dh and I would take it in turns to sit in there with the ipad, when he was overwhelmed or to get him to sleep).

We were at the very top of 'corner field' this time, right up where the sheep shearing is. It was very very windy, but had a fantastic view, and was pretty peaceful.

We normally camp in 'flat field', but right up by the hedge, which means you don't get too many people around you.

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 27-Aug-13 10:00:19

Oh yes hazeyjane, the cow was there when we were too. Also pigs were wandering about too. The cow was a real problem though - glad people looked after your stuff for you.

Judging by this thread, you do need to be more than one family ideally to get the best out of Eweleaze. Just to kind of insulate yourself against the worst of the space encroachers if nothing else.

We will keep going back for sure but only to camp in the out of the way (ish) non-car fields. Everywhere else is just too packed or noisy I think. Plus, I love to be able to see the sea from our tent (even if just a little bit of a view squeezed between other tents).

hazeyjane Tue 27-Aug-13 09:45:18

Sorry you had such an awful timesad

We have just got back from eweleaze and had a great time. There are things that annoy me about the place, and I know that when ds is older his mobility problems will make things difficult (we couldn't take his sn buggy,. because i knew it wouldn't cope with the terrain!) But the good bits outweigh the bad for us.

We go with another family (6 kids in all) and always try to camp in the remotest parts, this time we were on such a high slope, we all slept rolled up at the bottom of the tent!

One year we did have to move because a party of about 6 tents set up next to us, they were really noisy well into the night, had stupidly big fires and their kids kept coming into our tent.

There was a wandering cow this year, that kept ransacking tents, when it got into our kitchen (we weren't there) the families in the tents along from us, chased it out and piled our chairs up to protect stuff, they were lovely, it is such a big site, you do get nice people as well as rude and obnoxious.

I wish i could have seen you there, so I could have given you a friendly wave and smile!

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 25-Aug-13 22:15:25

MummyPigsFatTummy Sun 25-Aug-13 10:19:13

oh Lisad sad. So many people not loving Eweleaze. I think maybe it is now a place for groups only to enjoy. It seems you need the numbers to get a decent pitch and to be immune to the other annoyances. What a shame.

TheFowlAndThePussycat Fri 23-Aug-13 22:14:49

I'm sorry lisad sad. We had a couple of great days out in Weymouth.

TheSecondComing Fri 23-Aug-13 22:06:22

amistillsexy Fri 23-Aug-13 22:05:52

Oh Lisad I'm so sorry for you sad . Is there a quieter part of the site you could move to? Tell them you're leaving and they have to unhook their ropes to let you out, then simply move to a different field?

If that's not possible, I hope you enjoy your days out. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now