Give me your hints for eweleze farm

(38 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 11-Aug-13 13:14:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 27-Aug-13 15:13:52

Not been to Abbotstone but we have enjoyed a few brilliant trips to Forgewood in the last year or two. That site is becoming a bit of a victim of its own success ime though, which is what I think has happened to Eweleaze.

We are off to Chafford Park this weekend, not far from Forgewood. Unless things have changed since early July, that is a lovely and fairly quiet site with plenty of room to camp, although, like a lot of South Eastern sites, not exactly a cheap weekend.

Might have to put Abbotstone on my list for next year... Possibly, Les Valades too as it seems to be an MN fave.

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 27-Aug-13 15:18:54

Mind you, as we tend to camp in fairly large groups of four or more families, we are probably a part of the problem. I do like to think we are not excessively noisy or inconsiderate though, but you don't always know how you appear to others.

TheFowlAndThePussycat Tue 27-Aug-13 23:06:43

We often camp in big groups of 4-6 families MummyPig, so I don't have anything against groups at all. I got the impression that the real problem was a small number of people who don't often go camping (hence burning green wood, letting off Chinese lanterns inappropriately) who weren't monitoring their children so the kids were thumping each other, biting, pushing people off haystacks, screaming well after dark etc etc.

DH thinks that the site is just so big that people feel really anonymous and so just don't take other people into consideration in the way that they do on other sites. I think he might be on to something.

WeAreSeven Wed 28-Aug-13 01:03:43

I think large groups really should have a separate area or field of their own. When bunch of friends get together, there is bound to be a bit of a party atmosphere and people forget tbe time.

thezoobmeister Wed 28-Aug-13 01:22:11

Take your own bog roll, and fgs stay far away from the Chinese lanterns. They are terrifying fire hazards.

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 28-Aug-13 10:00:41

Not a bad idea WeAreSeven, although at Eweleaze that would be most of the fields I think. I would be happy with that so long as it included Point Field, as that is ours!

I also think your DH is right. The site is just too big for people to get to know more than their immediate neighbours and they become a bit self-absorbed as a result.

Definitely agree about Chinese lanterns zoob. Hopefully, by next year they will have been banned on most sites, including Eweleaze, if not become illegal.

Must admit, the compost loos never ran out of loo roll once while we were there. I even stopped taking some with me just in case by the end. I have never done that on an English camp site before.

dinnermoneyready Wed 28-Aug-13 10:09:52

We stayed at Shortlake Farm which is run by the same people who run Eweleaze I think. We really liked it - it was much quieter and flatter than eweleaze and mostly individual families rather than massive loud groups. I think anywhere you camp you have to get lucky with your neighbours!

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 28-Aug-13 10:44:22

dinnermoney - does it have sea views at Shortlake? I was wondering that as I know they don't at Northdown (their other site I think).

Also, although they don't have shops etc at Shortlake, do they have the hay bales for the children? Ours loved all that but it might be nice to try a different site next year maybe.

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 28-Aug-13 11:17:44

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 28-Aug-13 11:23:47

Beach Field does always look a fair bit more crowded than Point Field - I expect because the sea views are fantastic which they aren't from all of Point Field.

Where you were lisa, has always struck me as being the best bit of Beach Field, being relatively flat and not right by the track where the cars drive up and down (which I would hate). However, I guess if you get bad neighbours, it doesn't matter where you are. sad

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 28-Aug-13 11:26:32

To be honest, if I could, I would camp at the very top of the hill by the track leading to the site as it is the view when you come into the site and can see the whole bay ahead of you, which always takes my breath away. We didn't arrive onsite until 11pm this year and it was beautiful with all the lights over the black sea.

But the cows get to enjoy that instead grin

dinnermoneyready Wed 28-Aug-13 19:00:40

Mummypig - there are lovely sea views at Shortlake and about a 10 min walk ro the beach. There is a small shop that I guess sells similar stuff to eweleaze and a food bit selling burgers, breakfast rolls etc. there are hay bales too. Hot water was a bit hit and miss though...

TheSecondComing Fri 30-Aug-13 00:31:52

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now