Give me your hints for eweleze farm

(38 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 11-Aug-13 13:14:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MummyPigsFatTummy Sun 11-Aug-13 22:48:37

Well, my hint would be to camp in a non-car field if you can. You can take the car to drop off stuff and pick up but the rest of the time you park it in the car park. There are far fewer people camping in those fields so they are generally less crowded.

The compost loos are fine - far better then i imagined. I didn't use the others so don't know about them.

The pizzas are lovely but I haven't eaten anything else there so can't comment.

It is a great site - we are going back for the third year in a row. grin

triballeader Fri 16-Aug-13 18:19:00

We have just escaped. Nowhere- not even the so called flat field - is flat. The site is inaccessible for anyone with mobility difficultiues [wish THAT had been mentioned on their website before I went with my daughter- I have a neurological disability making mobility fun and my 15 yr old daughter still limps after two ops following a bad car accident] Everything is so far apart from everything. You can be rammed with lots of people near the food area or be on the edges of the site and have a long way to walk to a compost loo. The access onto the site is down a single very rough and very steep track. The past few days of sun reduced it to skiddy chalk powder and scree. Horrendous to drive on and get back up to get off site. All I can say is it is intensive grokkle farming with even ice packs charged for. The loos and showers are level but they are sited on rough uneven ground. Great if your able bodied not so great if your not. No room to shut the door if more than a toddler needs help to get clean! No one seems to think the site rules should apply and almost everyone was treating the site as if it was some kind of safe open air amusement park. Saw some near misses with un-supervised young kids and one that ended in a fracture. Showers tend to struggle to be warm until the sun has been on them. The only reliably warm ones are the ones in the main facilities area as they are powered by a wood stove. No handwashing facilities. 12 flush loos with huge queques night and morning. Limited washing up facilities- never had hot water once. All food on site is organic so expect to pay organic prices. No huge mark up but if you have a large group you will feel the cost. Best shop- Morrisons on Manor Roundabout in Weymouth; Tescos in Dorchester. Limited local shops. Access to beach not possible with a pushchair, very difficult if wet as its a clay soil that becomes very slippy when wet by the beach. If your fit and able bodied do not mind rolling down slopes in your sleep and love paying over the odds for an eco rather basic campsite then its worth going. I admit the inaccesible nature of the site coloured my experience and the track into the site alone is one of my many reasons for not going back.

TheFowlAndThePussycat Thu 22-Aug-13 20:04:33

We went last week too and didn't think much of it - really feel for you and your kids triballeader as it is really hard to get around even though we have no mobility issues.

There were one or two very rude and objectionable kids but more who were simply totally unsupervised until really late at night, shining spotlights around and screaming at the top of their voices. There were some lovely kids and friendly people too, but our overall impression was that it wasn't a very friendly or considerate site. But then we were on our own whilst most people seemed to have come in groups.

We won't go back though.

MummyPigsFatTummy Thu 22-Aug-13 20:55:30

What a shame both of you have had such awful experiences,especially you, triballeader. I can well imagine how that might be the case though with mobility issues or even just depending where you end up pitched. It is such a vast site.

I do agree TFATP, that it is probably an easier site to enjoy if you are in a group and especially in a group with young children, as we were. Ours loved the animal petting, the dog walking, the hay bales, the beach and just the space and freedom to run around. We adults enjoyed the freedom of them playing together and us kicking back with coffee or wine and watching them play. Bliss.

But again, you get that best in a group. I doubt we we would go as just one family - it wouldn't be the same.

I definitely agree that food-wise you don't want to be relying on the site or you will end up broke!

As to the showers, we used the shipping containers in one of the fields. They had plenty of room and hot water even mid-afternoon which was great. And hooks-alleluia!

Never got hot water for washing up though. We ended up heating some up ourselves.

We love it but I do agree it is not for everyone.

amistillsexy Thu 22-Aug-13 21:30:56

I've just typed out and then deleted a huge long post about our experience at Eweleze, and then realised the OP hasn't been yet grin

OP, it didn't suit us, but I hope you have a lovely time. My hints and tips...

*Fashion some sort of hand-washing station for your kids to use every time they've been to the loo, or played out. Have anti-bac soap, a nail brush and hand gel, and use them. We had a very poorly baby when we were there, and I think the lack of hand washing at the loos caused this.

*If you want a camp fire, make sure the people in charge of it understand fires. You cannot burn 'green' wood fresh from the bushes or trees around the farm, nor will straw from the bales make good fuel (I wish our near neighbour had known this before he lit a fire, when the wind was blowing in the direction of our tent angry )

*If you want to light those Chinese lanterns, please at least move away fro the tents, and do it from a safe distance. It is a little worrying for DHs to return from the loo to find that a burning lantern has blown onto the tent where his 3 children and wife are sleeping (yes, camping neighbour, I' looking at you again angry angry )

If your child wants to play with other children, make sure he/she is Neuro-Typical. The parents of the children at Eweleze 'don't want their holiday spoilt by having to deal with wierdos' (yes, neighbours on the other side, surprisingly enough, we could hear you. Your tent walls are evidently not as thick as you are angry angry angry . Oh, and by the way, I don't think a child trying to engage you in conversation about dinosaurs on a holiday on *The Jurrassic Coast is really going to spoil your holiday, do you? I only told you about his autis because you were dismissing him so rudely and he didn't understand why).

Sorry, OP. I tried to tone it down, but I guess it's just still raw sad. I truly do hope you have a better time than we did.

amistillsexy Thu 22-Aug-13 21:32:53

Sorry about the overuse of bold. I only meant that for the Jurassic Coast bit. blush

TheFowlAndThePussycat Thu 22-Aug-13 22:00:24

Agree about the fires amistillsexy, I saw a number of people burning fresh branches - well, I would have seen them if it hadn't have been for the smoke grin.

What gits your neighbours were. Shame your DS didn't bump into my Dd, she is happy to discuss dinosaurs for hours on end smile.

amistillsexy Thu 22-Aug-13 22:35:25

grin He'd have loved that.
The best camping holiday we did was when we went to Hadrian's Wall, and he was mooching, having rejected the mass game of footy his brothers had joined. Another boy came up to hi and said 'Would you like to come to my tent? I've got 14 books about the Romans there,' DS was over the moon, and the pair spent a very happy week indulging their Aspergers together.

Apologies again for the downer, lisad123. I wish I'd kept me gob shut now blush

MummyPigsFatTummy Thu 22-Aug-13 23:58:45

God. People can be foul can't they? If I had heard all this before I went there I would definitely have avoided it like the plague. I guess it is just so big with so many prime camping there are going to be unpleasant ones and thoughtless ones and careless ones, and you would just hope not to meet too many of them sad

lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 23-Aug-13 21:48:56

TheSecondComing Fri 23-Aug-13 21:55:05

lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 23-Aug-13 21:57:54

amistillsexy Fri 23-Aug-13 22:05:52

Oh Lisad I'm so sorry for you sad . Is there a quieter part of the site you could move to? Tell them you're leaving and they have to unhook their ropes to let you out, then simply move to a different field?

If that's not possible, I hope you enjoy your days out. thanks

TheSecondComing Fri 23-Aug-13 22:06:22

TheFowlAndThePussycat Fri 23-Aug-13 22:14:49

I'm sorry lisad sad. We had a couple of great days out in Weymouth.

MummyPigsFatTummy Sun 25-Aug-13 10:19:13

oh Lisad sad. So many people not loving Eweleaze. I think maybe it is now a place for groups only to enjoy. It seems you need the numbers to get a decent pitch and to be immune to the other annoyances. What a shame.

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 25-Aug-13 22:15:25

hazeyjane Tue 27-Aug-13 09:45:18

Sorry you had such an awful timesad

We have just got back from eweleaze and had a great time. There are things that annoy me about the place, and I know that when ds is older his mobility problems will make things difficult (we couldn't take his sn buggy,. because i knew it wouldn't cope with the terrain!) But the good bits outweigh the bad for us.

We go with another family (6 kids in all) and always try to camp in the remotest parts, this time we were on such a high slope, we all slept rolled up at the bottom of the tent!

One year we did have to move because a party of about 6 tents set up next to us, they were really noisy well into the night, had stupidly big fires and their kids kept coming into our tent.

There was a wandering cow this year, that kept ransacking tents, when it got into our kitchen (we weren't there) the families in the tents along from us, chased it out and piled our chairs up to protect stuff, they were lovely, it is such a big site, you do get nice people as well as rude and obnoxious.

I wish i could have seen you there, so I could have given you a friendly wave and smile!

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 27-Aug-13 10:00:19

Oh yes hazeyjane, the cow was there when we were too. Also pigs were wandering about too. The cow was a real problem though - glad people looked after your stuff for you.

Judging by this thread, you do need to be more than one family ideally to get the best out of Eweleaze. Just to kind of insulate yourself against the worst of the space encroachers if nothing else.

We will keep going back for sure but only to camp in the out of the way (ish) non-car fields. Everywhere else is just too packed or noisy I think. Plus, I love to be able to see the sea from our tent (even if just a little bit of a view squeezed between other tents).

hazeyjane Tue 27-Aug-13 10:52:18

Yes we had the pig too!!

We have to park in a car field, because ds's 'safe space' is the car ( dh and I would take it in turns to sit in there with the ipad, when he was overwhelmed or to get him to sleep).

We were at the very top of 'corner field' this time, right up where the sheep shearing is. It was very very windy, but had a fantastic view, and was pretty peaceful.

We normally camp in 'flat field', but right up by the hedge, which means you don't get too many people around you.

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 27-Aug-13 11:22:06

Oh right, I see - the non-car fields would be out of the question in that case, of course. I am not very good with the field names - we always camp in Point Field (which doesn't have quite such good views as Beach Field but has some flatter places to camp) and the next one up was Top Field which does allow cars I think? While we were there we had incredible winds so if Corner Field is windy anyway, it was probably as well you weren't there on Saturday 16th (you weren't were you?) There were quite a lot of destroyed tents and shelters that day!

I am very impressed with some of the angles people pitch on (sounds like you were one of them) - I imagine people lashing themselves with ropes to the top ends of their tents to sleep. I can't see how you would do it otherwise (apart from sleeping in a big pile at the bottom end like you did).

DD loved the roaming farm animals - I was not quite so keen...

hillbilly Tue 27-Aug-13 13:15:53

I thought about going a couple of years ago but decided against it because a. dh loathes compost loos and b. I have a big issue with chinese lanterns which seem to be quite popular there. Hence we never went and judging by what people are saying about it being mainly large groups who go, we never will. Similarly, and I can't believe I'm saying this, we experienced the 'huge group' scenario at Forgewood this year which was disappointing as we felt a little hemmed in.

It may well be that having just returned from a lovely spacious site in France, I've got my rose tinted glasses on!

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 27-Aug-13 13:39:16

Such a shame hillbilly because, honestly, it can be a wonderful experience - it is just the luck of the draw as to where you are pitched I think.

We saw hardly an Chinese lanterns when we were there, oddly. I hate them so that was a relief.

Where in France were you? It sounds lovely.

hillbilly Tue 27-Aug-13 14:41:36

We were at Les Valades in the Dordogne, Mummypig, and it was very lovely. TBH there are so many super campsites here in the UK (south for us) that I doubt I'll run out of familiar sites that I love and new sites to discover. The latest fave of mine is Abbotstone Wood near Winchester which is the sister site to Forgewood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now