Carfest South 2013

(97 Posts)
TeamEdward Sun 04-Aug-13 00:02:58

Less than 3 weeks to go!

Check in here and tell me what you are packing!

Wonderstuff Thu 22-Aug-13 22:49:58

That's a bummer. We have waterproofs though, and at least tent will dry on Sunday. We live in overton, so will nip home if it gets too much. I haven't packed yet..

TeamEdward Fri 23-Aug-13 04:53:06

Can I come too? grin

We've got wtaerptoofs, rain ponchos, wellies etc.

That weather forecast is depressing. Never mind! We've packed up my parents campervan and will shortly be on our way!

mrspink27 Mon 26-Aug-13 14:47:02

We are back and had a GREAT time - even if Mr Evans did decide to keep the whole of Greenfields awake until silly o'clock this morning with his "After Festival Party" in his section of the Yurts!!! Washing machine going and wholesome food consumed... And showers for everyone!

TeamEdward Mon 26-Aug-13 15:33:34

Oh yes! The FaF area was SO noisy! Quite nice to hear them letting their hair down after all the hard work though.

We've been home an hour and a half and haven't even upacked the car yet. Just can't face it. Give me ten more minutes and I'll peel myself off the sofa.

What was your favourite bit?
We really go for the music, so enjoyed Jools Holland, Keane (who are very local to us! I know Tom's wife), and the AMAZING Seasick Steve.

We've delivered the campervan back to the parents. Going home tomorrow so it's been nearly a weeks trip for us!

We loved it, although having a 5 month old as well as the 3 year old with us meant we took a long time to do anything.

Loved bouncy castle kingdom and the mini tanks and campervans. Loved Scouting for Girls and Seasick Steve too. Bring on next year, although if we don't get a caravan permit we may glamp it to be honest.

Wonderstuff Mon 26-Aug-13 19:36:07

The fireworks were my highlight, and Seasick Steve on Saturday. The kids didn't make it to the end of the headliners, which was a shame. Might try to get babysitters next year.

mrspink27 Mon 26-Aug-13 20:28:27

I like the food workshops, same as last year but my DDs love them all the same. Also the atmosphere and how friendly and relaxed it is. LOVE the music : Texas, Keane, Jools Holland and Amy McDonald, also the Eagles tribute and Bjorn Again.
DDs also had great fun on the assault course and simulators and also the freedom to roam and come back to find us. They also met Sharleen and Chris and had fun celeb spotting! Watching the radio show on Saturday was interesting, if a little damp!

Greenfields was not as good as last year. There were 1200 campers, double the number of tents, in the same space and only 8 showers, 8 female loos and 4 male cubicles. These were MILES away from our tent which meant a long walk and wait at busy times. BUT they were regularly serviced and cleaned and well maintained on site and in the event itself. Our neighbours were very cross about the bacon sandwich fiasco on Sunday morning!!

We will be back next year no doubt as we will have run out of Ecover samples and voucher by then it promises to be better again music wise.
Might reconsider our camping though and go for either a bigger tent or possibly hiring a campervan. Just hope it doesnt get toooo big for its' own good and lose some of the sparkle and specialness!

mrspink27 Mon 26-Aug-13 20:32:19

Oh yes and the fireworks! Loved those. Just wish the weather had been as lovely all weekend as it was on Sunday afternoon and evening. Makes it better all round.

Wonderstuff Mon 26-Aug-13 22:46:51

We were in bog standard camping and it was grand, well as soon as we'd hiked all our stuff from the car to the campsite in the searing heat grin

The licence they have doesn't allow more than 19999 people on site, can't see them trying to increase that, so it won't get bigger, but can see the proportion of VIP tickets increasing, they'd obviously sold the same tickets but made more money this year and I thought it was better. I hope it doesn't get too much more expensive, it's lovely to have it on our doorstep, took less than two minutes to drive home this morning.

Wonderstuff Mon 26-Aug-13 22:55:08

Dyou know the one thing that irritated me was the ban on bringing in alcohol combined with the expensive bar. We did smuggle in our own drink, but it did seem to be designed to extort money. Other festivals seem able to run more reasonably priced bars.

TeamEdward Tue 27-Aug-13 12:15:45

We didn't buy an alcoholic drink all weekend. Didn't exactly smuggle it in either. Did anyone get their bags checked?

What was the bacon sandwich fiasco? We cooked our own every morning, but saw the queue...
Agree there were a lot more tents there this year, but if you timed your wee breaks well you didn't need to queue much!
The Greenfields staff were great, especially helpful as we needed a fridge for medication. They took the meds to the Production office fridge and fetched it for us three times a day.

But the music was amazing, love love loved it!

TeamEdward Tue 27-Aug-13 12:18:27

And they're now playing Emily Stevens on the Jeremy Vine show!

TeamEdward Tue 27-Aug-13 12:23:48

Sorry, Emma Stevens.
emmastevensmusic.com/

Wonderstuff Tue 27-Aug-13 13:52:44

They were checking loads of bags, had quite a pile of confiscated cans on Fri and Sat between campsite and main site.

TeamEdward Tue 27-Aug-13 13:56:55

They must trust the Greenfields/boutique campers not to break nthe rules then!

mrspink27 Tue 27-Aug-13 14:38:31

We cooked our own stuff as well. But our neighbours preordered bacon/sausage/veggie baps on Saturday for Sunday breakfast, collection at 8am.

First of all they had to queue twice, one line for bacon, one line for sausage, so if you had both to collect one was cold before you got the other. Then the veggie sausages hadn't arrived at all and they also then ran out of bacon and everyone was told to come back at 9. Not funny if you had been waiting in the drizzle in the bacon queue for 45 minutes or if you were clutching a cold sausage bap. Given they were preordered the number must have been known in the first place. Also the baps weren't, they were sliced bread which was falling apart by the time they arrived and there were no serviettes, kitchen roll, bags etc to carry them so there were lots of damp irate campers struggling with handfuls of disintegrating, equally damp, cold bacon sandwiches which they paid £3 for the privilege of.

We weren't searched at all either and we only had our bands checked on Saturday evening.

Thought the glider fireworks were the best, but DH says the helicopters were more impressive!

That's odd, we weren't checked at all coming in from the main campsite. Maybe because we went in first thing and stayed all day, or maybe because we had enough luggage to run our own festival and it was just too daunting!

mousetours Tue 27-Aug-13 17:15:33

Had a great time. We weren't even checked for wristbands most of the time let alone anything else! I was confused why Greenfields camping gave us a white and a green wristband - surely one would have been enough!
My Dd (10) wasn't impressed with the bug show or the mad science show but loved the jousting and the trampolines.
Glowsticks were a big hit and lots of people asked where we got them. Nowhere seemed to be selling them.
I thought the loos were great both on the main site and at the greenfields camp. How they kept them so clean all the time was amazing.

TeamEdward Tue 27-Aug-13 19:47:16

We bought loads of glowsticks with us. Next year I'm bringing more and flogging them wink

Wonderstuff Tue 27-Aug-13 23:49:04

I must look dodgy!

we loved it. We had our bags checked once to-ing and fro-ing from the main site but they didn't question what was in the drinks bottle! We were near the quiet camping loos and they were always fine. Never queued behind more than one person and 10 minutes for the showers.

Kids loved it too and even when they crashed could hear the music very well back at the site! I didn't think the bar was that pricey - £4.30 for a draft pint. Though we did take a drinks bottle full of wine in too. Was disappointed when the beer ran out on Sunday!

I'll be waiting to book tickets for next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now