Carfest South 2013

(97 Posts)
TeamEdward Sun 04-Aug-13 00:02:58

Less than 3 weeks to go!

Check in here and tell me what you are packing!

mrspink27 Fri 09-Aug-13 22:24:50

Still waiting for our tickets... although Greenfields email came today...

mrswimpeydimple Fri 09-Aug-13 22:56:53

Thanks mouse, app downloaded and map being studied!

Purplehulk Sat 10-Aug-13 08:15:11

Morning all
Another car fester here.
Quick question, when the tickets arrived did you have to sign for them?
We moved last week and they are being delivered to the old house ( no one living there and we still have the key for collecting post)
Just hoping I don't have to sit in an empty house every morning until they arrive.
Thanks

mrswimpeydimple Sat 10-Aug-13 08:50:45

Tickets arrived normal post, were on doormat when I came home from work.

Purplehulk Sat 10-Aug-13 10:29:57

Brilliant, thanks
That makes life a little simpler smile

Acde2013 Sun 11-Aug-13 17:08:29

Hi all we are also carfesting ... Hoping we get some decent weather!! We have booked a wagon for the three days from mr trolley, also going to order some ear defenders for our 2 little ones ! 2 weeks to go cannot wait !!

We are going too but not camping. I would have done the glamping but didn't manage to get tickets for that unfortunately. We are staying in a hotel in Basingstoke.

And I bought tickets for the posh toilets! I'm normally a 5-star hotel kind of girl you see. blush. And I'm old.

Hi, we're off to Carfest too! Very excited. We got Campervan tickets this year which makes things simpler thank goodness. Didn't know there was an App so shall head off and find it now. Thanks.

Ok, just had a look a the map. Looks good but the car run is all off to the side. I presume you can see it all. Just doing my shopping list to stock up. Got as far as Bacon (lots) so far.

TeamEdward Thu 15-Aug-13 17:33:39

I've been stocking up on beer!

Ooh, good point!

ImpatientOne Thu 15-Aug-13 20:55:39

They got quite strict on bag searching for alcohol at North and there were lots of signs about not taking it from the camping area to the festival area - especially glass.

The funny thing was though they didn't look in kids backpacks or in buggies wink

TeamEdward Thu 15-Aug-13 21:00:00

We weren't checked once last year (but then we take it in the wagon or kids bags too wink )
I think the glass was an issue last year, especially as at South it is essentially farmland.

We weren't checked at North or South last year, in fact I don't remember any signs, just that anything brought onto the site had to be for personal consumption. Maybe I missed the no glass signs.

I like the idea of them having an App, but last year there was bugger all mobile signal at all, and never a glimmer of a data connection. Wonder if they've considered that.

ImpatientOne Fri 16-Aug-13 07:52:11

There were lots of hastily hand written signs when entering the festival area but also the pre-printed campsite rules said something about quantities. I think it's on the tickets or somewhere as there have been people moaning on the Carfest Facebook site about alcohol restrictions.

Re mobile signal there is a company providing WiFi - 30 mins free but for a donation to CIN you can have all day. I only managed to get on it once and it was slow. The app was no use to me all weekend as although I had 3G the app just had too much data to load.

Also the app wasn't updated with changes (I checked when we got home) so was no better than the programme or printing the map/info that Carfest put on Facebook.

Fortunately I had means of charging my phone after wasting all my battery trying to see the app grin

Acde2013 Fri 16-Aug-13 18:17:10

Just going through our shopping list - as we are first timers to carfest are there any essentials you guys who have been before would take? Not sure what we are doing for food - buying all weekend or cooking somethin? Is there a shop that sells essentials like milk ?

There was a camping shop last year, which was very expensive and rather crap. I'd only use it for emergencies to be honest. Lots of good food will be available from the exhibitors at the show, but not sliced white or pints of milk. I don't know if the camping shop at Carfest North was any better this year.

Plenty of good hot/cold food outlets are there too so you won't starve,

mrswimpeydimple Fri 16-Aug-13 22:39:04

Ok, so this may be a bit of a dumb question, but those of you who have camped at Carfest before, how did you keep any food in your cool box cool for the weekend? No EHU and no camp shop to refreeze ice blocks, and we may be having a warm one next week if forecast is correct. Can't afford to eat out for the whole weekend so will be cooking at tent and having breakfast there too.

We kept stuff that needed keeping cool to a minimum and had uht milk for the Sunday evening/Monday morning. Glad we did as the shop ran out. Bacon lasted in a cool box from Friday to Sunday morning, it's cured after all. We had spread instead of butter which stayed useable. Evening meal Sunday was pasta, jar of sauce, so no cooling needed. Keeping the coolbox quite densely packed and minimising it being open seemed to keep the milk fresh for a couple of days.

mrswimpeydimple Fri 16-Aug-13 23:00:13

Thanks. Good idea about the UHT milk.

ImpatientOne Sat 17-Aug-13 22:33:29

Camp shop at North was basic and £££ and ran out of milk, bacon & bread by Sunday morning! shock

We didn't really cook at all just made hot drinks and had breakfast at the tent but there was only DH and me so it wasn't too expensive to eat over at the festival. Crepes were £4-£5, hot pork sandwiches a fiver, fish and chips, noodle boxes and ostrich burgers £7 and pizzas a tenner. We also had pies from the Best of British tent which were about £2/3, they had sausage rolls and sweet things too.

There were also food vendors on the campsite but prices are pretty much standardised throughout - except water which was £2.50 a bottle at some places but only £1 in others. There were water taps throughout the festival site though so we just kept on refilling! It was HOT at North and the water we kept in the tent was too warm!

TeamEdward Sat 17-Aug-13 22:43:55

We took two pints (it's only for tea anyway) - one pint carton was fresh and we froze the other.
We're going to freeze some bread as well this year as it travels better as a hard loaf!
We're taking porridge pots, frozen bacon, tins of beans, pouches of Bolognese (got them cheap in Sainsburys!) and pasta. Also lots of snacky things for the DC (crisps, rice krispie squares, flapjacks etc) so they don't pester for chips all the time!

The food is very good, and not too bad value for festie food, just a bit expensive when trying to feed a family of four for 3 days!

There is no camp shop on the Greenfields site, although enterprising staff did arrive a big pile of bacon sandwiches that they sold in the mornings! They also would charge your mobile phone if you had the lead (but then had to trust them with it) and phone reception was crap.

One thing I will certainly take is a folding airer to hang coats to dry. Soggy anoraks are no fun.

TeamEdward Sat 17-Aug-13 22:47:19

Re Booze
It says this on the Carfest website:
Please do NOT bring any alcohol onto the festival site, a small quantity may be brought into the campsites
but I'm going to ignore this anyway
One stall last year was charging £6 for a plastic cup of Pimms & lemonade. shock

ImpatientOne Sat 17-Aug-13 22:50:37

Was £5 for Pimms - hooray for the cheap North wink well a small was £5 (half pint) and a pint was £10, I think the jugs were £25 plus deposit for the jug.

TeamEdward Sat 17-Aug-13 23:00:40

I have my own jug - maybe I should bring that too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now