Carfest South 2013

(97 Posts)
TeamEdward Sun 04-Aug-13 00:02:58

Less than 3 weeks to go!

Check in here and tell me what you are packing!

TeamEdward Sun 04-Aug-13 17:47:04

Just me then?!

mousetours Sun 04-Aug-13 20:53:51

We are going too. Very excited now. Never been camping before so no idea where to start!

TeamEdward Sun 04-Aug-13 21:35:09

Carfest 2012 was our first camping experience as a family!
We cheated a bit (and are doing so again this year) by having a Greenfields tent.

Last year we bought a trolley to cart the DC around the site it. It was fabulous and shall be coming with us again this year.
New purchases for this year include a camp kitchen unit, sporks, and I've just bought some Travel Johns from Amazon.

mousetours Sun 04-Aug-13 22:47:41

Have you got any tips from last year? Are there lots of things you need to pay extra for?

We've got a greenfields tent too. Struggling to put a tent up might end our trip before its begun!

So far we have a camping stove, plates, cups etc but no idea what we are going to cook!

TeamEdward Mon 05-Aug-13 00:13:33

Take lots of cash because the cash machine on site charges (there is a bank in the nearby village)

Not loads of extra charges - a few rides for the kids maybe. The food is pricey but very good. Pizza stall and paella stand come highly recommended by DC!

I'm sure I'll think of more tips - I'll be back tomorrow!

mousetours Mon 05-Aug-13 17:26:24

Thanks that's useful to know. Do the children have glow sticks in the evenings - not sure if I should take some or not. Also is it fairly easy to get water or is it best to take supplies?

TeamEdward Mon 05-Aug-13 18:18:24

The water standpipe was easily accessible but did run out on Sunday in the Greenfields camp. We took two 5ltr bottles of water so it didn't effect us.

Not many kids had glowsticks, but we took loads and used them all! The tubes from Poundland were great (20 for £1 I think)

TeamEdward Mon 05-Aug-13 18:19:09

Don't forget a large shopping bag to take into the shower to keep your clothes/towel dry - there is not lot of room in the shower trailers.

rememberingnothing Tue 06-Aug-13 00:37:54

We are going, we are hardened campers but first festival with kids.

What is your trolley like? DH threatening to make one but he will run out of time and it won't happen. I need a plan B for a week's time when he admits it!

TeamEdward Tue 06-Aug-13 08:52:50

Our wagon is a bit like this. The red cover is removable.
We might "pimp my ride" for Carfest, maybe a pirate or superhero theme, and get the kids to dress up accordingly. TBH it's not really dressing up type festival but DCs took there superhero costumes last year and lots of people said what a lovely idea it was.

Our wagon isn't huge, but big enough for 5yo DS2 to curl up in! Last year he slept through most of Saturday night's music, although we did have ear defenders for them.

TeamEdward Tue 06-Aug-13 08:53:12

their, not there!

mousetours Tue 06-Aug-13 12:55:18

Great tips!

I have a 4yo will he need ear defenders? I hadn't thought about noise levels!

TeamEdward Tue 06-Aug-13 16:26:31

The cars can be VERY noisy on the hill climb, that's the main reason we got them for the DC. DS1 (7 at the time) didn't wear his much, but DS2 (4 then) did wear them when asleep in the wagon.

TeamEdward Tue 06-Aug-13 16:30:45

We have Edz Kidz
I think they're a bit cheaper on Amazon

mousetours Tue 06-Aug-13 18:26:30

Thanks I have ordered some from Amazon.

ImpatientOne Tue 06-Aug-13 20:25:25

At Carfest North this weekend most of the cars were ok noise wise but the dragsters and F1 cars would be too loud for most children! We wore earplugs at the music stage as we were near to the front each night - there were lots of kids with ear defenders, including Chris' son Eli!

There were lots of kids in wagons although it was quite a pain for them as the crossing point wasn't open that much (and didn't always open as per the published schedule) and the only other option was a foot bridge via an uneven and narrow path!

It looks like South is a much posher affair as we didn't have the option of paying for nicer toilets wink

TeamEdward Wed 07-Aug-13 11:26:31

No point paying for the posh toilets if you're in the Greenfields camp though as the posh toilets ar on the far side of the festival site and you can only use them when the site is open. "Normal" campers can use them before and after site opening times.
That said, the Greenfields toilets were pretty good and exclusive for the camp. Not too far of a walk from the music stage if you really can't face portaloos either.
I'm also hoping lots of day visitors & normal campers have bought posh loo passes so that the other toilets are not so busy!
Last year there was a special she-wee area which was great for avoiding the loo queue.

rememberingnothing Thu 08-Aug-13 13:36:40

A special she-wee area? I'd love to try one but I can't imagine that being a communal experience tbh. smile

We are definitely taking ear defenders - DH massively into cars and won't hear of children being near that noise without them. Me massively into music though expect I wont get quite so much bouncing done with kids in tow.

TeamEdward Thu 08-Aug-13 15:01:47

The she-wee place is quite nice actually! They have a urinal type trough, but canvas cubicles built around it so everyone has privacy. It's full of giggles though as women try it for the first time - I had a bit of performance anxiety (TMI? grin). They've also got some comfy chairs and a mirror. It's just about the only place on site where you can check your hair!

Our tickets have just arrived in the post!

rememberingnothing Thu 08-Aug-13 15:20:41

Oooh I hope mine are there when I get home! I'm hardly excited at all!!!!

I just looked at She Wees and saw the PeePol bag / toilets that looked pretty good. Normally at night my girls just pee behind the tent but in a festival situation these look they might be a good idea.

Has anyone used them?

TeamEdward Thu 08-Aug-13 19:41:14

Not seen those PeePoo bags before. We have used TravelJohn bags before when camping.

mousetours Fri 09-Aug-13 10:53:17

Tickets have arrived! Only 2 weeks to go!

mrswimpeydimple Fri 09-Aug-13 16:11:03

Our tickets arrived today too, woo hoogrin Just me and 3yo DS to our first festival, but we have done a bit of camping before. Bringing a smaller tent than usual and have just ordered his ear defenders and some travel johns so thanks for the tips. We're in quiet camping and ill bring a sack trolley to help get our gear from the car. Anyone been before and know whether the car park is close by?

Really looking forward to it.

mousetours Fri 09-Aug-13 16:23:37

There is a map on the carfest app. No other info yet though. I think it depends on where your car is in the car park and where you are in the campsite but it does look like the quiet camping is closer to the car park.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now